Is it worth mailing a bloom in to get it judged?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

johnndc

I was asking in another thread about this, but thought I'd ask it as a free standing question so some of our judges can weigh in. I have a paph that looks quite nice, but I was out of town this weekend when the monthly judging was taking place (in DC). I'd heard you can cut a flower and fedex it in for judging? Is this nuts, or do-able? If so, how, and where? Thanks, JOHN

I've heard judges talk about it but I've never seen it practiced. Sorry this isn't much help.

Since it needs to get judged by a team I suppose you need to send it to another judging center with a more convienient meeting date.

did you check the AOS website? Fly to chicago tomorrow. Go up to philly next weekend.... you can mail it but you'll also have to check the weather.

That's interesting, Ki. I'm intrigued by the mail option - I won't be flying to chicago tomorrow, though maybe some enterprising friend wants to drive with me to Philly? ;-)

Great Lakes is next Saturday (third Saturday). I could take it for you if you really wanted.

I can't remember the last time we judged a cut inflorescence. It just doesn't happen very often. But, that doesn't mean it couldn't happen, I think it would be fun. Of course it is going to be umpteen million degrees below freezing next week.

Personally, if it were my plant I'd give it a clonal name so I wouldn't forget that I thought it was special, harvest the pollen if I thought there was something worth crossing it to on the bench, and cut the flower off. As good as this flower is (awardable or not, I have no idea), it will be better next time.

Arnie Klehm mails cut complexes to Philly once in a while. Says they're not as stingy as us in Chi AND he bought an entire collection of them off an older judge there, so he sends blooms for judging just so he can see the flowers. Arnie's a trip! Always comes up with great names. Had a string of Booth spin-offs so I hear from not-so-reliable sources (Phone, Voting... to poke at the likes of Susan Booth etc).

-Ernie

littlefrog said:
Great Lakes is next Saturday (third Saturday). I could take it for you if you really wanted.

Of course it is going to be umpteen million degrees below freezing next week.
NYC - 55 degrees! :confused:
We are all going to suffer this summer.

Latest posts

Back