Is it true paph's take 7-10 years before they make 1 st flowers?!?!!!?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanx for the photos Leo :poke:

finally, this old dog has 'learnt' a new trick :poke:
Transvaal-83a.jpg

Thanks Candace - I finnally got it.
Leo

Looks great, Leo. I have a couple of similar plants that I've set back and have waited forever for, too.

Very nice - worth the wait!
although our wait to post the nice pic was so much shorter!

wow~ I don't think I'll have the patience to nuture a non-blooming plant for 17 years! Good job Leo, it looks very pretty :clap:

On a side note, anyone can share their experience with blooming parvi primary hybrids from flask? I bought a viet x hang flask out of curiousity (or stupidity, depends on how you see it) for a great price and now I am staring at it thinking "what have i got myself into?" :confused: TIA!

On a side note, anyone can share their experience with blooming parvi primary hybrids from flask? I bought a viet x hang flask out of curiousity (or stupidity, depends on how you see it) for a great price and now I am staring at it thinking "what have i got myself into?" :confused: TIA!
I can help make things less confusing for you. Put the flask in an envelope an mail to me... :evil:

Parvi hybrids will typically bloom sooner than the parents. I've been able to get Ho Chi Minh blooming in 3 years (one plant from the compot). Right now, I have one 2 year old venustum compot with a single flower (I'm behind getting my compots in individual pots) and a 2 year old victoria-reginae compot with a single flower. Earlier this year I had 2 year old deflasked spicerianums flower (6 of 10 plants that survived deflasking).

However, my bellatulums, armeniacums, and micranthums from flask probably need another 2 years before they're blooming size (based on their current growth rate). They'll be one year out of flask in June.

I gave up on sanderianums from flask. So I bought a 3-growth sanderianum at the WOC last week.

Phrags on the other hand grow like weeds. I did an experiment with phrag Jason Fischer with 120 plants and in May they'll be 2 years out of flask and all are near blooming size or blooming size (but lazy me still has them in compots). They should've been in individual pots a year ago so they would flower this spring, but I've caused them to delay a year due to my lack of timely care.

Phrags on the other hand grow like weeds. I did an experiment with phrag Jason Fischer with 120 plants and in May they'll be 2 years out of flask and all are near blooming size or blooming size (but lazy me still has them in compots). They should've been in individual pots a year ago so they would flower this spring, but I've caused them to delay a year due to my lack of timely care.

"Let my people go" Moses

Leo, your Transvaal is impressive. Even more impressive is your patience & dedication in (finally) bringing this to bloom! :clap:

Good info here for newbies! Thought I'd bring it forward. Leo- your paph is amazing!! Worth the wait!!

I have a secret way to develop the patience to grow a plant for 17 years to bloom it. The secret is to have so many plants that you don't notice that one hasn't bloomed. :evil: As soon as I had over 100 orchids, the patience issue stopped being a problem. I now have over 1000 orchids, so it is actually an effort to keep track of one plant. Now a days I only notice the ones that do come into bloom.

But seriously, for the beginner, start with at least 6 or so different orchids. That way you have a chance of something blooming sooner, and less overall frustration around having nothing in bloom. Also when you have a long spell of no flowers, buy a plant in bloom. Since most orchids are to some degree seasonal, that plant purchased in bloom will likely rebloom at the same time of year the next time it blooms. This way you can build a collection that always has something in bloom.

BY the way, a little self promotion: I have a presentation I do on building an ever blooming orchid collection, with as few plants as possible. If your local orchid society needs a speaker I am now booking engagements for 2010. My calendar is open anytime after February 2010.

Thanks
Leo

Oh my! Is there such a thing? i.e., a desire to have as few plants as possible???

:rollhappy: I know, who am I to talk that way. The actual example that inspired the talk was my mother's little collection of 16 Phalaenopsis. She has at least 2 or more in bloom at all times, and in the spring she often will have 12 or so in bloom. Really a nice little collection.

It can be done with Paphs or Phrags too.

:rollhappy: ...was my mother's little collection of 16 Phalaenopsis. She has at least 2 or more in bloom at all times, and in the spring she often will have 12 or so in bloom. Really a nice little collection....

I am really jealous of those green-thumbed people!!!! :) Jean

Nice secret way, Leo, and good advice for beginners, too!! I like the idea of 4 seasons of blooms. Our society is having our first show in March, I'll bring up your name as a speaker.

BY the way, a little self promotion: I have a presentation I do on building an ever blooming orchid collection, with as few plants as possible. If your local orchid society needs a speaker I am now booking engagements for 2010. My calendar is open anytime after February 2010.

Is this presentation packed to go? I doubt you will be in Sunny South Africa any time soon to do a presentation but we, in our society, have many new members who would benefit from such a talk. Is it available in power point and does it come with a script so someone else can present it, or is a U-tube version available?

tt

Is this presentation packed to go? I doubt you will be in Sunny South Africa any time soon to do a presentation but we, in our society, have many new members who would benefit from such a talk. Is it available in power point and does it come with a script so someone else can present it, or is a U-tube version available?

tt
Tyrone,
That's a good idea, as of the moment I do the talk without a script, I change it up to use what I have in bloom at the moment. But it is a good idea. perhaps over the holidays I will get to writing the article.
Thanks

Back