is giving non-calciferous paphs calcium bad?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likespaphs

some call me brian
Reaction score
that is, is it detrimental to give them cal-mag when i cal-mag everything else? i'm giving about 150 ppm of nitrogen and, i think, about 50 ppm calcium.
thanks...

For one, I've never heard or had a Paph ( or Phrag ) that has been affected in the negative by receiving a calcium boost. I would suggest that it be done only once or twice a year as that is what has been the general use within the Paph growers I know.

The only negative I can think of is that it may effect the ph on a paph that's more acidic, like delenatii.

Lot's of misconceptions here. First, Calcium per se does not affect pH, it is the OH- released when the compound it is added as dissociates. Most "Cal-Mag" fertilizers actually make your irrigation water acid, some extremely so. All Paphs need Calcium on a regular basis, it is a macro nutrient, in fact your plants need more calcium than they do phosphorus. Feeding Calcium should not be confused with the concept of adding calcium and possible magnesium carbonate as a topdress or component of a mix for Paphs that have an affinity for limestone. The extra amount of Calcium released from the relatively insoluble Calcium Carbonate should be insignificant compared to what you are adding with fertilizer if you are feeding them properly. What is significant is that the calcium carbonate will dissolve in proportion to H+ ions in your irrigation, buffering the pH towards neutral.

Hmmm....does MSU (pure water formula) have enough calcium? Should I be supplementing with Calcium nitrate? Take care, Eric

Hey Eric, I would say it wouldn't be a bad idea once in a while to boost with calcium nitrate, but not absolutely necessary with MSU. Epsom salts, yes, absolutely add more magnesium periodically, especially for roths and any Paph you start to see that brown leaf tip die back with a yellow leading edge, the stuff you cut off and it starts right back up regardless of what you treat it with.

Thanks...I definitely need to use epsom salts more often...I do an epsom salts flush every few months.....but I really should do it more. Take care, Eric

I think I'm sold on this whole Epsom salts deal. Where should I pick some up? Is there any chance the drugstore stuff is ok?

Hey Eric, I would say it wouldn't be a bad idea once in a while to boost with calcium nitrate, but not absolutely necessary with MSU. Epsom salts, yes, absolutely add more magnesium periodically, especially for roths and any Paph you start to see that brown leaf tip die back with a yellow leading edge, the stuff you cut off and it starts right back up regardless of what you treat it with.

Could you explain more whether it is the calcium or is it the magnesium that cures the yellow die back of leaf tip?
And on that note, my armenicum and micranthum bottom most leaves keep getting yellow and brown faster than the new leaves can grow, how do I cure this symptom?

I think I'm sold on this whole Epsom salts deal. Where should I pick some up? Is there any chance the drugstore stuff is ok?

I get mine at my local garden center. It came in what looked like a milk carton. I'm almost out and need to buy more. The drugstore stuff should be the exact same thing, but make sure there aren't any additives like perfumes or color as some manfacturers specifically make a product for baths and foot soaks.

Latest posts

Back