Is anytime a good time to re-pot paphs?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_B.

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My paph Asteroids have been in ther medium for a few years. they continue to grow like gang busters, but i'd like to re-pot them because it looks like the medium is breaking down. Is it ok to re-pot paphs regardless of growth stage (new growth, spike, in flower) or should I wait for flowers to be gone and new growth initiated?

Thanks for your advice, Mike B. Alexandria, VA growing under biaxial lights

I would wait until the flowers start wilting..just to be sure and so you don't accidentally damage the flowers.
other than that I haven't found it to be all that important when you repot..if the plant needs it ,
it needs it now

I agree with ehanes. I've repotted right after blooming and at times when
it was convenient and it never seems to affect the plants. Paphs. don't
seem persnickity that way.

I second with OZpaph that reporting activites should be done in Spring, and Autumn is also acceptable to me. If your plant is in bloom, wait and do it when the bloom is gone.

In emergency cases (suspected root rot) I repot no matter what, otherwise I try to wait until some sort of growing activity is taking place (roots, growths etc.).

I have repotted Paphs whenever throughout their growth/flowering cycle. I have never noticed any setbacks. I grow in a GH, but done it in the past when I grew indoors on a windowsill.

Paph repotting:

1- Absolutely and immediately if there is any question about media break-down and root health. Doubly true for newly acquired plants. Might as well get the shocks over and let the plant begin settling in under your conditions with your fresh media.

2 - Best bet, just as the plant enters active growth. Might be spring, might be anytime for some species and hybrids. For a plant that typically makes 2 or more rounds of growth per year for you this can mean pretty much any time.

3 - For a vigorous and healthy plant, anytime, with care. It depends somewhat on how gentle you can make the repotting process - your media, your skill and patience, etc. I find that the winter semi-dormant period can be especially good for Parvi and Brachy Paphs under these circumstances.

4 - In bud or flower, it rarely makes any difference. In case 1 above the health of the plant takes precedence. In case 2 and 3, I haven't seen a problem in general.

5 - At least once a year on a planned basis, unless using largely inorganic media and/or secure in the knowledge of excellent water quality, good fertilizing practices and good media condition.

Note - For all of the above, my experience with big non-sequential multiflorals is limited.

And I freely acknowledge that some may strongly disagree with any/all of that.

I repot whenever I find the time. Just the last week I started repotting my collection. A few are in bud and or bloom and they don't skip a beat. I even repotted a large number of micranthums that are in sheath. I can even feel the bud puffing up inside the sheath. Today I noticed one pushing it's way out into the world. Paphs. are some tough plants.

I do not repot unless the plant has outgrown the pot or the substrate has decomposed to such an extent that it has more or less disappeared. Also if the roots seem to suffer. This latter is not too common luckily. The main reason why people repot is to prevent root rotting, but in my opinion that is just an indication of inadequate cultural practices. Excessive fertilisation is probably the main trigger for the need to repot IMHO.

I do not repot unless the plant has outgrown the pot or the substrate has decomposed to such an extent that it has more or less disappeared. Also if the roots seem to suffer. This latter is not too common luckily. The main reason why people repot is to prevent root rotting, but in my opinion that is just an indication of inadequate cultural practices. Excessive fertilisation is probably the main trigger for the need to repot IMHO.

I tend to agree with this Bjorn. And the fact that I find myself repotting a lot tells me I still don't know how to grow them properly. But I will learn if it's the last thing I do.

I'm repotting all of my Paphs right now, with only a few exceptions, to see the shape of the roots after a year of mistreatment. What I've noticed is that the substrate I use lasts longer than 2 years so I really shouldn't have to repot that often in the future.

Teresa, its normally not a bad idea to repot new aquisitions;) much of the larger seedlings are in crappy substrate or substrate that does not suit your watering routines. Even I tend to do it:) mostly with one exception, Asendorf. Those plants are mostly small ones in fresh bark so there is no need to repot. Another thing you should watch out for are those readymade mixes that are available. Much of that is crap. Go for bark and add a bit of sheetmoss and sand and there you are. Cheaper and one thousand percent better than the premade mixes.

Teresa, its normally not a bad idea to repot new aquisitions;) much of the larger seedlings are in crappy substrate or substrate that does not suit your watering routines. Even I tend to do it:) mostly with one exception, Asendorf. Those plants are mostly small ones in fresh bark so there is no need to repot. Another thing you should watch out for are those readymade mixes that are available. Much of that is crap. Go for bark and add a bit of sheetmoss and sand and there you are. Cheaper and one thousand percent better than the premade mixes.

Bjorn, can I see a pic of the sheet moss you are using? Have you used sphag as a substitute and was there a difference?

Oh I always repot new acquisitions. They're usually grossly overpotted and the substrate is very often decomposed and doesn't fit my watering habits.

As you, I never repot the plants I get from Asendorfer since it isn't necessary because of the reasons you mention. That's one of the reasons why I love ordering from him, no hassle after you've gotten the plants home. :D I just wish he sold some more larger plants too...

Yep, don't use those. So much "bös" in them (haven't found a good English word for "bös" yet... dust? Small particles which makes the substrate suffocating?). I make my own mix of bark, sphagnum and perlite (and crushed marble for the calcareous ones and sometimes some pieces of packing peanuts to add more air to the substrate). I try to keep the sphagnum and perlite in the upper parts of the substrate, everything to make the moisture more even in the pots. I've also potted some Paphs in straight bark this time around, because if they grow fine when I get them from Asendorfer, why not try it myself?

Sand... Doesn't that just pour out the holes in the bottom of the pots when you water?

Sand... Doesn't that just pour out the holes in the bottom of the pots when you water?

If you have a look at the link I sent regarding the moss, you can see that the moss has a shell like structure. The sand is fine enough to get inbetween in that structure and get stuck there while keeping the moss open. Further, the sand covers the surface of the bark. All in all, it stays where it is supposed and does not get flushed out. Quite surprising really. The substrate seems to keep its structure for longer, and who knows, perhaps the sand releases some micros that are beneficial as well?

If you have a look at the link I sent regarding the moss, you can see that the moss has a shell like structure. The sand is fine enough to get inbetween in that structure and get stuck there while keeping the moss open. Further, the sand covers the surface of the bark. All in all, it stays where it is supposed and does not get flushed out. Quite surprising really. The substrate seems to keep its structure for longer, and who knows, perhaps the sand releases some micros that are beneficial as well?
Interesting phenomenon.

There is an English term called 'fines' which may be a good equal to 'bös'. The fines are the tiny bits of something in a container that settle to bottom and are not the intended size of whatever has been packaged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an English term called 'fines' which may be a good equal to 'bös'. The fines are the tiny bits of something in a container that settle to bottom and are not the intended size of whatever has been packaged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aah, that sounds like a very likely candidate actually. Now I just need to remember it till next time. :D

Latest posts

Back