Irrigation pump?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
I've been using Chapin 2 gallon sprayer pump to water my orchids. I'm wondering if there is anything better, possibly with a higher flow rate. I probably need to do maintenance on Chapin, but the flow rate seems to become lower with age; and it takes too long to water my orchids. I clean the 2 filters periodically, but maybe the air isn't holding tightly? Do you have any other recommendation for a better sprayer pump?

Also, I'm considering to get a submersible pump or something to which I can connect a garden horse directly. Do you have any recommendation for a reliable (high quality) irrigation pump? Since I use it indoor (from 50 gallon rain water barrel), I prefer something QUIET. What do you all use to pressurize RO and rain water for irrigation?

Thank you for the recommendation, Lance and Ray. It doesn't have to push the water for a long distance, so I'm guessing I don't need lots of pressure, right?

sorry for the intrusion.

How is it that ye do to irrigate paphs, to avoid problems of rot in the new leaf, with these sprayer pumps? like it rain? or approaching the nozzle to the substrate?

thanks!

Thank you for the recommendation, Lance and Ray. It doesn't have to push the water for a long distance, so I'm guessing I don't need lots of pressure, right?

If you want to use a water breaker or mist nozzle you need some pressure.
If all you want is a slow flow out of a 1/2" hose/tube then 5 gpm at low pressure is all you need.

Keep in mind the height difference from the surface of the water supply and the max height you need to raise the hose above that level.
If the pump performance chart says it has a maximum height lift of 5' then you cant raise the hose higher than 5' above the water surface and get any water out the end.

sorry for the intrusion.

How is it that ye do to irrigate paphs, to avoid problems of rot in the new leaf, with these sprayer pumps? like it rain? or approaching the nozzle to the substrate?

thanks!

Both ways.
If you have good air circulation and the temperature is warm water like rain.
If the temperature is cool and ventilation is poor then try to keep water out of the crown (center) of the plant.

I imagined it was so, but I never saw it,

to thanks Lance.

Naoki, have you ever heard of a Spot Shot? It's a rolling
fertilizer/watering cart that holds seven gallons of liquid
with an attached sprayer that can be adjusted from fine
spray to blow-it-out-of-the-pot. The pump is attached to
the cart, so the whole rig rolls easily. The 7 gal. tank can
be taken on and off the cart for cleaning and storage.
I've had mine for over 15 years and it's worked perfectly.
You might try browsing the net to see if it's still available.
If not, I can email a friend in PR to find the address.

Angela, is this it?

http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product93.html

I didn't know about this type of battery operated sprayers. Thank you very much for bringing this up. More options are better! Also, it is great to know that yours has been reliable for 15 years! It is fairly pricey, but it isn't so bad if it lasts for a long time.

get, as Lance said, I water everything, too. I've never had problems. Other than some damages due to bugs near the crown area, I can't really convince myself that water in the crown can cause crown rot for a healthy (not stressed) plant. We are surrounded by opportunistic pathogens, but we don't become sick most of the time. Plants have fairly good defense mechanisms, too, if they are not stressed out.

Naoki, if you go with a submersible pump in a drum, remember that the length and diameter of the hose you use will make a difference in the flow and pressure exiting it, as will the depth of the liquid in the drum. That pump I recommended works extremely well with 25 feet of half-inch garden hose.

Thanks Naoki.

You are right, but...i have some problems with crown rot...the last a micranthum.

I bought my Spot Shot from the guys who designed and
produced it and mine is a bit larger (7 gal. tank) and was
considerably cheaper 15 years ago. Mine is a work horse
that you can depend on and so easy to roll around. I'm
glad you found a place to buy one just in case. This little
sweetie brightened up fertilizer days quite a lot. I'll use
a pump sprayer occasionally for specific jobs, but I hate
the things.

I used one of these. Worked fine for me with a hose and spray nozzle.

Attachments

• 2006_1230Image0036.jpg
    2006_1230Image0036.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the additional info, Ray, Angela, and Wendy. I'm leaning toward these low power sump/utility pumps over the motorized sprayer since I have 50-gallon tanks in the same room as my grow tent (so I don't need to fill up the sprayer tank).

After thinking about the options suggested here, I went with 1/4 hp utility pump similar to Wendy's. I got Wayne EEAUP250, 1/4" pump
because it has a water sensor to cut off the power when the water level goes too low. The sensor of this one is not a mechanical float type, so it is less likely to have issues.

I put it in a 50 gallon rain barrel, and it is pretty quiet when it is under the water. It pumps too much water with a normal nozzle. To limit the flow rate, I'm using 0.5gpm (Dramm 12350) or 1gpm (Dramm 12344) mist head. 0.5 gpm is a bit too slow, and I prefer 1 gpm. But I wish it had a narrower shower pattern so that I can target better.

Anyway, it is much, much easier to water now. I've been using it for about a month, and I'm pretty happy about it. Thank you for your help!

After thinking about the options suggested here, I went with 1/4 hp utility pump similar to Wendy's. I got Wayne EEAUP250, 1/4" pump
because it has a water sensor to cut off the power when the water level goes too low. The sensor of this one is not a mechanical float type, so it is less likely to have issues.

I put it in a 50 gallon rain barrel, and it is pretty quiet when it is under the water. It pumps too much water with a normal nozzle. To limit the flow rate, I'm using 0.5gpm (Dramm 12350) or 1gpm (Dramm 12344) mist head. 0.5 gpm is a bit too slow, and I prefer 1 gpm. But I wish it had a narrower shower pattern so that I can target better.

Anyway, it is much, much easier to water now. I've been using it for about a month, and I'm pretty happy about it. Thank you for your help!

Can you video the flow of that nozzle using a 1/4 HP pump. I cant find anything on google.

Don't forget that hose length and diameter, as well as relative elevation to the water in the tank, will all affect the output rate and pattern.

eggshells, I'll try when I get some time. The hose is short, less than 25ft, and I think it is the typical garden hose (not the fatter one), I think the flow rate is similar to a typical faucet. From my understanding, this kind of utility/transfer pumps can't create a higher pressure, but for watering plants, it seems to be ok even with the mist nozzle. I personally think that I would be ok with a lower power pump like what Ray suggested.

Ray, do you think this set up will work with Dosmatic or Dosatron? Is 0.5-1gpm too low for the injector? It's indoor, so I can't quite use the higher rate (not enough storage tank and too much trouble to deal with the waste water).

Back