Irapeanum update

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately I have bad news. My plant died some time ago. It had a solid growth but then it started to grow slower and turned yellow. No new shoot coming from the bottom. I wish you all the best Seb. It is on you now.

This is bad news! I'm sorry for you! ... Thank you for the compliments, but I do not think do extraordinary things! I decided to measure the temperature and humidity every day to try to understand. ..if you have other ideas measures tell me.

This is bad news! I'm sorry for you! ... Thank you for the compliments, but I do not think do extraordinary things! I decided to measure the temperature and humidity every day to try to understand. ..if you have other ideas measures tell me.

Try to find out more information about the mycorrhiza fungi of this Cypripedium species and try to keep the fungus alive in pot culture.

Good idea Berthold, but how can I do? Furthermore it is an in vitro culture of plant ... I am not sure that the fungus is present...

Thank you for your support ! irapeanum stopped its growth because the sun is less and less bright but not start its dormancy because the weather is anormaly beautiful (20°C outside and more ...)... So it's like "fixed" : as last year, the oldest shaft is wasting away when the latest stem remains green without pushing!

Today !
The cold has finally arrived: I stopped watering ... but I stand slightly wet as last year.
and like last year, the second pushes is smaller, and as fixed...perhaps technical "wintering" !

I fear all non symbiotic culture will fail if not in a sterile environment.

I fear all non symbiotic culture will fail if not in a sterile environment.

Maybe you have right. Few of orchids are impossible to keep alive. But they are growing fine in nature. Most of them died because of bacterial infection ( rot). Remember Fleming! He noticed that many of bacterias didn't grow on agar, what were infected by fungi. He thought about that and got a Nobel award for penicillin. Maybe these fungi, what protect these "impossible to keep alive" plants, produce some kind of antibiotics against bacterias. Maybe if someone can identify this antibiotic, we can keep these nice plants alive in future.

Latest posts

Back