iPad video of cattleyas

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this is an experiment to try out the new video feature introduced by Angie.
I‘ve not added any sound, maybe that will follow.
First up are two purpurata clones the first of which, the white petalled one, was bought as the clone ‘cindarosa’ but clearly isn’t. The second is the sanguinea clone I posted recently. Following those are the lueddemanniana ‘dark form’ and the huge mossiae semi alba, both from OL. The larger of the two mossiae flowers has settled down at a monster 19cm or 7.5 inches across. It’s more like a big white hybrid in size. Plus it has a fairly vertical dorsal!
The file takes some to time to upload, maybe 10 minutes but that’s ok.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.MOV
    37.5 MB
According to a Google search, *.mov files are 8-bit, while many browsers are built on 64-bit architecture, so cannot play them. If you can convert it to an mp4 file, it should be fine in any browser.

Played 'almost' just fine in 'mediaplayerclassic' software on my PC. Beautiful flowers and good resolution. The video images were upside down. Possibly due to the orientation of the phone when the video was being captured.

For a regular mobile phone ...... when the phone is oriented in the 'usual' way ---- (as in vertically --- where we can see for example the regular writing on the keypad side of the phone, such as the apple logo, or samsung logo) ----------- from that particular regular orientation ----- we then rotate 90 degrees COUNTER-clockwise. After doing that counter-clockwise rotation (by 90 degrees) ------ that higher long edge of the phone will mark the 'top' of any video or camera image. The lower long edge of the phone will be associated with the 'bottom' of any video or camera image.

On the other hand, I'm not discounting an issue with my video player - with the way that it plays this file. In any case - it's playing and the image quality is very good.

I enjoyed seeing that video. Beautiful flowers.

movie.jpg

Last edited:
@monocotman This has nothing to do with the slippertalk forum software. This is merely a publicly-accessible storage location. The inability to play the mov file is because of the browser the individual uses to view it.

You can easily download a free converter app for the ipad and post them as mp4 formatted files, then they'll play on most, if not all browsers.

Southpark, I used an iPad not a phone to record the video!

M.M. ------ true! The same applies to ipad. But maybe you held the ipad in the correct orientation already. It could just be my software not playing it correctly. For an ipad ----- if we hold the ipad vertically (while looking at the display screen of the ipad), and then rotate 90 degrees counter-clockwise, then the upper long edge will mark the top of the video image.

If we (instead) rotate 'clockwise' (relative to the vertical position), then the upper long edge would actually mark the 'bottom' of the video image ----- so would get an 'upside down' video - when viewed from third-party video players that is. But I'm not sure whether my upside down video is due to my mediaplayerclassic not playing it properly ----- or not.

Last edited:
Also letting everybody know that I went to cloudconvert.com to convert that video to an mp4 file, where the resulting mp4 actually plays the video with the image in the regular 'upright' orientation. So that was pretty good.

But also mentioning that I think that even .mov files do contain orientation information (sort of like exif data, metadata or whatever it is, that contains information like orientation etc). So ----- hard to say (at this stage) whether that converter site had taken a peek at orientation information, and then proceeded to apply orientation 'correction' ---- or not.

Wouldn't it be easier to link the video to a youtube format? Not techie here but those links play easier without having to download?

That said, I saw the video. Looks so sunny there!

It may well be Leslie!
I was just trying out the new opportunity.
After a series of warm dry springs we have had a cold frosty April and a cold wet May. Today is the first warm sunny day for several weeks.
David

Similar to mobile/cellphones ------ if the orientation just so-happens to be in a direction where the true 'up' direction is not used (which is generally the right-hand long, vertical edge of the phone or tablet ----- which aligns with the 'TOP' edge of images) .... then some software that doesn't have prior knowledge about where to look (for orientation information stored with an image or video file) could end up displaying the file with some other orientation - instead of 'up' that is.

Last edited:
Back