Introduction & hello!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RinardOrchidGH

Reaction score
Hello! I am curator of a large and diverse species orchid collection, the Wheeler-Thanhauser Orchid Collection and Species Bank, housed in the Dr. Joe and Alice Rinard Orchid Greenhouse, at Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana. (long title, whew). I have been curator/ecologist since 1993. (Many of you may know Russ Vernon, curator from 1972 - 1986). The focus of the WOCSB collection is education, conservation and research, where over 1800 orchids and other tropical plants are displayed in a naturalistic setting. The facility is free and open to the public, M - F 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and Sat 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. More info here: www.bsu.edu/orchids/

I 'met' my first orchid in the wild at age 9 (Cypripedium acaule) and was completely hooked. Since then, ladyslippers have always been my favorite. As a plant ecologist and orchid curator, finding slippers in the wild continues to be my biggest thrill!

Recently, I was given a unique and amazing opportunity to add species to the Rinard Orchid Greenhouse collection as a living tribute, so of course I selected slipper orchids! It is with great pride that I proudly announce the Betty Kendall Ladyslipper Orchid Species Collection, in which we currently have nearly 100 different species of slipper orchids! The goal of the slipper collection is education, conservation and research, and as such, I would like to make them available for such here, especially for species propagation for conservation, and research.

Thank you for including me in this valuable and welcoming group!
Cheryl LeBlanc

Welcome Cheryl!

I know they don't do slippers, but hopefully you were able to get some of Hoosier Orchid's stock before they folded.

Speaking of curated collections, the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh is looking in to adding to their collection of slippers; maybe you can work together somehow. They have a request to fill out survey of significant phrag hybrids:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40112

Welcome Cheryl!

I know they don't do slippers, but hopefully you were able to get some of Hoosier Orchid's stock before they folded.

Speaking of curated collections, the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh is looking in to adding to their collection of slippers; maybe you can work together somehow. They have a request to fill out survey of significant phrag hybrids:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40112
Thank you, Linus. I've been in touch with Erich Michel, from the former Hoosier Orchid Company, and was able to add some species to the WOCSB prior to their closure. I'll look into connecting with Phipps - thank you!

Thank you, Linus. I've been in touch with Erich Michel, from the former Hoosier Orchid Company, and was able to add some species to the WOCSB prior to their closure. I'll look into connecting with Phipps - thank you!

I love jewel leaved orchids, and miss Hoosier Orchids, sigh...
(What happened to their interspecies crosses that they had trouble blooming?)

Welcome, Cheryl! I've heard good things about the Ball State orchid collection. Good luck with it -- I really hope you have no problem with funding, and you don't have the problems Michigan State University had maintaining their now defunct but wonderful collection.

Welcome to ST from KY Cheryl. Your credentials are impressive and working with species slippers is even more
so. I hope you can post some photos of the collection and
the facility.

*Linus, you can hijack all you want to! You have interesting info. Tsk tsk Eric, of all people to protest
hijacking...;>)

I had the pleasure of meeting Cheryl yesterday at BSU, and seeing what a great orchid environment she manages as curator of the Wheeler-Thanhauser Orchid Collection and Species Bank. She and I and Russ Vernon had a delightful time strolling through the collection and discussing various aspects of slipper orchid culture.

One of the other things we talked about was what happens to premier private collections when the owner passes away. In many cases, these collections deteriorate, fragment and many important clones are finally lost to cultivation. Many of the fine plants we saw yesterday at BSU came from such collections and are an important part of the Rinard Orchid Greenhouse. Many of our fellow slippertalkers have species, both slipper and non-slipper that should be preserved once we're gone, and donating them to the Wheeler-Thanhauser Collection would be a wonderful way to leave a lasting legacy.

That's a fine idea Tom. I don't care much about a personal
legacy, but it would be very nice to know that one's plants
are being cared for and a pleasure for others to see.

Wow, I am thrilled to be around a person with such sterling bona fides. I'm a teacher (getting a masters) and have been trying to get some lesson plans on orchids together. I am wondering if your organization has any pre-made K-5 type lesson plans for teachers, or downloadable Power Points? Or photos that can be made into such?

Welcome! Katy in New Mexico

Latest posts

Back