Introducing Myself

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pam, you should not try to remove what you are calling babies. These are secondary growths from the main plant. In time they to will bloom. If you tried to divide this plant now there is a good chance they may die. Even if it is possible to do so without killing them you would set back the growths so much it would take them years to recover. Just grow them on as they are and you will be rewarded with more flowers.

Pam, you should not try to remove what you are calling babies. These are secondary growths from the main plant. In time they to will bloom. If you tried to divide this plant now there is a good chance they may die. Even if it is possible to do so without killing them you would set back the growths so much it would take them years to recover. Just grow them on as they are and you will be rewarded with more flowers.

Thanks for the answer. At this point in my growing experience I would have removed the secondary growths. I'll leave them as they are. So glad I posted.

Greetings from s jersey!
Some orchids are monopodial, meaning they usually grow from one point, and they keep growing mainly upwards. They don’t have the ‘bulbs’ or rhizomes. Others are sympodial, and they mainly grow sideways, each growth which theoretically can be alive on its own if it has roots. I think irises are a good comparison of a similar growth habit to paphs. Paphs are sympodial, and often as new growths start, sometimes the old growth will give up its energy and turn brown. Not always, a stronger plant may keep many of its back growths or backbulbs. Later on these could be divided with a few other growths to make a ‘new’ plant. There are often undeveloped shoots on sympodial orchid bulbs or growths which can be stimulated to start producing new growths

Greetings from s jersey!
Some orchids are monopodial, meaning they usually grow from one point, and they keep growing mainly upwards. They don’t have the ‘bulbs’ or rhizomes. Others are sympodial, and they mainly grow sideways, each growth which theoretically can be alive on its own if it has roots. I think irises are a good comparison of a similar growth habit to paphs. Paphs are sympodial, and often as new growths start, sometimes the old growth will give up its energy and turn brown. Not always, a stronger plant may keep many of its back growths or backbulbs. Later on these could be divided with a few other growths to make a ‘new’ plant. There are often undeveloped shoots on sympodial orchid bulbs or growths which can be stimulated to start producing new growths

Thanks for the explanation s jersey. The dying off of the original plant with the new growths surrounding it sound like what I am seeing. The entire plant (Ho Chi Minh) has been in the same media (long fibred sphagnum moss) for 2 years now and it has a green mold in areas on top of the media. What's your advice on repotting now or later and how much later? NOTE: When I water I pour it through the pot letting it drain out; fertilize 1/4 strength gallon every other watering.

Hi from VA. Welcome, this is a great forum!! Many prof. Paph growers say not to go longer than 12-18 mos without repotting. Moss is fairly acidic and can become more so as it ages, so as soon as the new growths reach a size you think can survive repot, I’d do it.

Yes, moss can look good but like sponge can soak up salts and other stuff so renewing would be good. If you can repot by carefully pulling out strands and putting in new media, I’d do it right away.
A really good practice when watering anything, and especially orchids is to give them a big volume flushing of water. This helps encourage little broken down bits of media to wash out, helps to loosen up salts in and on media, and makes sure you get moisture everywhere. Sometimes media can be water resistant; new bark etc often repels water, and moss/peat can repel water so you need more to have it be moist. But then after a bit it starts retaining more water so you need to cut back. People have different theories on when to fertilize. If you have organic media like the sphagnum which can hold moist fertilizer, you may not need as much as if you have hard bark, or stones or aliflor where it runs off. So with new moss a little at a time May be good idea. And if it’s a little cooler and the plant may not be growing as much, it doesn’t need as much food. But when they start growing again when warmer then they need the feed again

Yes, moss can look good but like sponge can soak up salts and other stuff so renewing would be good. If you can repot by carefully pulling out strands and putting in new media, I’d do it right away.
A really good practice when watering anything, and especially orchids is to give them a big volume flushing of water. This helps encourage little broken down bits of media to wash out, helps to loosen up salts in and on media, and makes sure you get moisture everywhere. Sometimes media can be water resistant; new bark etc often repels water, and moss/peat can repel water so you need more to have it be moist. But then after a bit it starts retaining more water so you need to cut back. People have different theories on when to fertilize. If you have organic media like the sphagnum which can hold moist fertilizer, you may not need as much as if you have hard bark, or stones or aliflor where it runs off. So with new moss a little at a time May be good idea. And if it’s a little cooler and the plant may not be growing as much, it doesn’t need as much food. But when they start growing again when warmer then they need the feed again

Thanks for the advice. Southernbelle agrees with you on the repotting; I'm a bit hesitant due to the size of the babies the largest being 2" from leaf tip to leaf tip with the remaining 2 about 1" leaf tip to leaf tip. Would you still repot with the small babies?

If you think you can remove the media and put into new without doing any damage, or even if you leave a strand or two, you can cut off with clean scissors the old moss from the roots (without touching the orchid roots). If the media is 2 yrs old I think if you are careful you will do the plant a favor and it may grow up more quickly having healthier media. You won’t be hurting anything by lifting the plant carefully out of the pot as long as the roots aren’t connected too much to the sides of the pot

If you think you can remove the media and put into new without doing any damage, or even if you leave a strand or two, you can cut off with clean scissors the old moss from the roots (without touching the orchid roots). If the media is 2 yrs old I think if you are careful you will do the plant a favor and it may grow up more quickly having healthier media. You won’t be hurting anything by lifting the plant carefully out of the pot as long as the roots aren’t connected too much to the sides of the pot

Will Do, I'll give it try and see how it goes. Pretty exciting, thanks again!

Hi PamO from Cuba.
Although two new growths are emerging, both are still taking root from the original rhizome, so it could be dangerous if cutting, and it is better to preserve them intact. If repotting is an emergency, take care of root tips.

Hi PamO from Cuba.
Although two new growths are emerging, both are still taking root from the original rhizome, so it could be dangerous if cutting, and it is better to preserve them intact. If repotting is an emergency, take care of root tips.

Hi SuperPaph: I appreciate your information. Consensus is that I repot and keep the smaller plants attached which I will do. Wish me luck!

Hello Pam
Nice delenatii fma vinicolor!
Welcome on board from the nordic, bleak and rainy winter!
Kind regards,
Jens, Copenhagen

Thank you. I am so proud of the delenatii since it was the first bloom since buying it in 2019. Everyone in this forum is so helpful and friendly which is nice to experience on any day! Stay safe.

Latest posts

Back