Internal Server Error

Discussion in 'Talk back!' started by emydura, Aug 6, 2017.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Aug 6, 2017 #1

emydura

emydura

emydura

Sometimes when I try and submit a post I get the error message below. I have absolutely no idea what causes this error. I was trying to submit a couple of sentences today and could not get past this error. It drives me crazy. This seems to be a bug.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@slippertalk.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

2. Aug 6, 2017 #2

troy

troy

troy

This could be the result of bad karma, I never get this problem

3. Aug 7, 2017 #3

SlipperFan

SlipperFan

SlipperFan

Addicted

David, I've seen this message occasionally on other sites. I imagine it as the signal encountering an air bubble that messes up the signal. Nothing to do with the operator (you or me). I just wait awhile and try again - it usually goes through.

4. Aug 8, 2017 #4

Heather

Heather

Heather

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
    First I've heard, which generally means there's not much of an issue, just a hiccup as Dot said. Otherwise everyone would be emailing me. :)

5. Aug 8, 2017 #5

NYEric

NYEric

NYEric

I occasionally had a similar message when searching for past posts.

6. Aug 10, 2017 #6

emydura

emydura

emydura

I could try and post it for a million years and it won't post. I have been trying for a week and always get the same error message. I have pasted it in normally, I have pasted it in as unformatted text, I have even typed it in. But I still get the same error message.

This is all I am trying to post. I have had to post it as an image for you to see it. I get this error quite often and I can never explain it.

[​IMG]

7. Aug 10, 2017 #7

Ozpaph

Ozpaph

Ozpaph

Thats wierd David. Never seen that problem.
    TON charge way more for their suk flasks but these would be from Sam (probably TON parentage)

8. Aug 10, 2017 #8

TrueNorth

TrueNorth

TrueNorth

I had the same problem this week. I had a 3 paragraph reply to a post and I kept getting a 500 internal server error. Playing around, I was able to post the first 2 paragraphs separately, but the 3rd paragraph would not post even a day later.

9. Aug 10, 2017 #9

emydura

emydura

emydura

Yes, if I delete a sentence from the above I can get it to post. I have had the same experience in the past. If you delete a couple of sentences or paragraph it will successfully post. It is difficult to see what was in the offending sentences that was stopping it from posting though.

10. Aug 11, 2017 #10

naoki

naoki

naoki

I have seen this issue occasionally. There are some characters or a sentence which vBulletin doesn't like. I usually had to do the binary search to find the offending part. As David said, it is not clear why that particular part causes the problem. At first, I thought that it might be something to do with invisible characters from copy and paste, but it wasn't the case. After removing the sentence, I retype the same sentence, and it caused the same problem.

11. Aug 11, 2017 #11

Linus_Cello

Linus_Cello

Linus_Cello

VBulletin is trying to protect us from calling forth the gateway to the alternate dimension:wink:

12. Aug 13, 2017 #12

emydura

emydura

emydura

It doesn't like the first sentence after the cross name (Both parents are ...). I can post the rest but it won't allow the inclusion of that sentence. Even if I try to post that sentence on its own I get that error message. Can someone else try and post that sentence and see if they get the same error message.

[​IMG]

13. Aug 13, 2017 #13

Heather

Heather

Heather

Ok this is ringing a bell now! I think it has something to do with the name of the cross. Tom had an issue...let me see if I can find it. I think I made a sticky about this....

14. Aug 13, 2017 #14

Heather

Heather

Heather

Here it is! There is indeed a sticky about it in the photo forums. http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34342

There is a rule built in to keep the server running smoothly called a ModSecurity rule that the attachment process was tripping. Apparently the attachment file had an illegal naming convention in it. If the filename has a single or double quote in it, it trips this rule and generates an error.

When this is the case, then a simple rename of the file should allow you to upload the file.

Of course this is an issue for us because of the use of single quotation marks around clonal names.

For example, Tom's Phrag. vitattum 'Birchwood' jpg file had the quotes included in the name of the attachment which tripped the rule and caused the server error. When I removed the quotes around 'Birchwood', the photo uploaded just fine.

So, please make sure when uploading attachments that your files do not have single or double quotation marks in the file name.

15. Aug 13, 2017 #15

emydura

emydura

emydura

I think this is a different issue. I'm not trying to attach anything. I just can't post this sentence (which doesn't have any apostrophe's) -

Both parents are selected ....... with over 30 in bloom.

I can post all of the words individually, so there doesn't appear to be any characters it doesn't recognise. I just can't post those words in combination.

Again, I ask someone to try and post this sentence in full and see if the same error is triggered.

16. Aug 13, 2017 #16

gonewild

gonewild

gonewild

Grower

Same error for all or any part. Take the hint, you are not supposed to say that.

17. Aug 13, 2017 #17

gonewild

gonewild

gonewild

Grower

I tried to post your words in a new thread and still get the server error.

18. Aug 14, 2017 #18

NYEric

NYEric

NYEric

Now that I think about it I was searching crosses, something x something, or the word elfins.

19. Aug 14, 2017 #19

emydura

emydura

emydura

Thanks Lance. So you have proven this issue is repeatable for others. Quite clearly this is a bug that needs to be looked at and fixed.

20. Aug 14, 2017 #20

Heather

Heather

Heather

I'll look into it when I have time but as Naoki said it may be an issue with the software. Maybe just change the sentence if you can for now.