Interesting spike length

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
Here is another of my Aerides. This one I purchased some time ago ( 2/3 years ) and this is its first flowering, or getting there should I say.
Its supposed to be Aerides maculosum. The description says spikes to 25cm or 10inches. This one is currently at 46cm or 18 inches and still growing.
I'll post a pic or two when it eventually opens.
Spares008.jpg

Spares007.jpg

As a follow up, I spoke to the nursery where I purchased this plant and he suggested that his plants did the same thing, extra long spikes for this plant. He thought that it was due to lower temps throughout the year.

Whew! thanx for the conversion. Did the vendor confirm it was the correct species?

Sorry about the messurements, the vendor seems to think it is correct because he said that where he is, the year has been much milder than usual and the spikes on his plants were longer also. He didn't say by how much though.

That's a great spike.:clap::clap:

I was thinking the spike might be extra long growing in lower light conditions.

The spikes on my Phal schilleriana get over 4' long in darker winters, and seem to ramble around the GH looking for light before branching.

I dont think the light was too dark, I've found that Aerides prefer a little more shade than most growers think they should have plus the lower temps it gets seems to work well. The plants I used to before I sold them were grown and flowered in very similar conditions. I know if you give Aer lawrenciae too much light it will turn its toes up real quick.

Latest posts

Back