Interesting plant

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don t like to be a cites Saint.But just imagine a similar situation.One of your friend was walking in a flower market in Thailand and sent a question about buying some plant.A said of course, yes.But I will try to save pollen from weaker plant, just in bud, to the second, stronger plant for propagation.Just similar cooperation, I sent Mark pollen from wentworthianum for propagation, too.I think, this outways of law of CITES can be the real way for saving these species from extinction.Honestly i think authorities just **** on these problems. Laws say that trade of plants is forbidden, but how about local collecting, tradeing or destroying forests for industrial purpuses?

Istvan, I stated here several times that CITES doesn't save one endangered plant/orchid from extinction due to local collectors and cutting down the habitats/rainforest. Therefore I'm completely on your side. The problem is.....authorities will see it another way and as long as CITES rules not have been changed.....be cautious.
Anyway, good luck with your plant and maybe there will be an artificial propagation.

I don t like to be a cites Saint.But just imagine a similar situation.One of your friend was walking in a flower market in Thailand and sent a question about buying some plant.A said of course, yes.But I will try to save pollen from weaker plant, just in bud, to the second, stronger plant for propagation.Just similar cooperation, I sent Mark pollen from wentworthianum for propagation, too.I think, this outways of law of CITES can be the real way for saving these species from extinction.Honestly i think authorities just **** on these problems. Laws say that trade of plants is forbidden, but how about local collecting, tradeing or destroying forests for industrial purpuses?
Or building houses on top of them, or burning down the entire habitat to plant oil palms, or soya?

Even the originator of the CITES draft (Seiden.) knew it failed but was too late to stop or change it. The mole hill suddenly became a mountain.
I have it from a very reliable source, who was befriended with the late Gunnar Seidenfaden, that the Danish department for agriculture had prepared a case against him, because of the import of a couple of plants sent to him by estimeed thai botanists, so that he could properly describe them (i.e. the orchids were no name species, which I guess would have made correct paperwork nigh impossible).
Totally unperpetubed by the noble and just causes for the import the department was unwavering in its intention to press charges for the breach of CITES regulations - the case wasn't dropped untill the then Minister for the Environment personally intervened and put a stop to the utter madness. For Ch.... sake, the man was an icon for the protection and preservation of endangered species - and 'A561 Gunnar Seidenfaden', one of two ships in the Danish navy with the explicit task of surveying and guarding the marital environment, is named after him!

Last edited:
Or building houses on top of them, or burning down the entire habitat to plant oil palms, or soya?
Or in Spotsylvania County, VA, 10 square miles of forest was clear cut to install the largest solar facility on the east coast. Not so VA residents could get subsidies and pay less for power, but so Microsoft, Apple and Univ. Of Richmond can meet their “green”quota for subsidies. No benefit at all to the local economy whose backyards’ this is in. As a matter of fact our electricity rates will rise as much as 30% over the next 20 years because on the days the sun does not shine, the energy has to be provided by our nuclear power plant to make up. This 10 square miles of forested land had a couple of endangered plants and animals, one of which was a very small orchid (sorry I can’t remember what it was). But never fear, the solar company will protect these tiny plants from their bulldozers!!! Sure they will, but enough said!!

Last edited:
I have it from a very reliable source, who was befriended with the late Gunnar Seidenfaden, that the Danish department for agriculture had prepared a case against him, because of the import of a couple of plants sent to him by estimeed thai botanists, so that he could properly describe them (i.e. the orchids were no name species, which I guess would have made correct paperwork nigh impossible).
Totally unperpetubed by the noble and just causes for the import the department was unwavering in its intention to press charges for the breach of CITES regulations - the case wasn't dropped untill the then Minister for the Environment personally intervened and put a stop to the utter madness. For Ch.... sake, the man was an icon for the protection and preservation of endangered species - and 'A561 Gunnar Seidenfaden', one of two ships in the Danish navy with the explicit task of surveying and guarding the marital environment, is named after him!
Madness...☹☹☹All of nurseries who trade with plants belonging under law protection have to recultivate plants back to the wild in South America.I saw pics at Ecugenera about replanting cattleya maximas onto forest trees and bessaes onto wet rocks.There is no any effort for recultivation or propagation in Asia just destroying, collecting and illegal smuggleing.So unfortunately i can not see any other ways for propagation just out of law at this moment. Only thing what cites authorities can do putting a species from vulnerable to endangered state, or to cr or to extincted state.What can we do with that????🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back