Intentional dose of high light?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spujr

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was doing some reading on the paph care info on the Antec website (http://www.ladyslipper.com/1stpaph.htm) and came across one interesting point I've noticed on my plants that were accidentally exposed to too high light intensities:

Paphs that are growing in too strong light will generally exhibit bleached looking leaves, i.e. very light green or approaching whitish green, and will mature smaller and smaller growths, and may put out multiple, tiny growths at the base of the plant

I was wondering if anyone would intentionally do this to encourage multiple growths and then later move the plant back in a "normal" light ranges where the multiple growths would mature healthily to produce a nice specimen with multiple flowers from each growth?

I have read that before, too, and was wondering about the same.

I grow my paphs in fairly high light, but not so high that leaves bleach and burn. I'm not sure if I want to expose them to such harsh treatment.

I do notice that when I give more shade, leaves tend to get wider and longer with clearer markings (maudies type hybrids).

With bull dog types, I have noticed the similar pattern. The leaves will stay shorter and the growth will be more numerous. Then again, this is done with only a few plants of mine, so it could have just been the plant getting older and doing better rather than the effect of the higher light.

I would love to hear from others' experiences.

I have a phrag Jason Fischer where this accidentally occurred. Last year it produced one growth that ended up blooming with a spike that barely grew out of its sheath while still fairly small. Then it produced 4 new growths. It has since been moved to a little lower light and the 4 growths are appearing like they might reach a more normal size. So we shall see...

Here's a photo of my roth that got over-dosed with light.

It looks better now. Also, pay no mind of the white calcium carb on the plant from the misting system. That was fixed too.

2015-09-25%2017.04.31.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Give it a dose of epsom salts "magnesium sulfate", when I overdose my plants I'll supplement with that one week, 1 tsp per gallon of 1/2 ro and 1/2 tap usually does it, although I only use that once every 4 to 6 months

Latest posts

Back