insigne x armeniacum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this one! The texture looks so shiny and plastic and the color rocks!

Which insigne was the parent? The immediate impression is that it must have been sanderae or sanderianum. Great bloom!

I know I might get some harsh replies but what a waste of time that cross is. The color is good though.

I don't think this was a waste of time at all. One now has insigne vigor and armeniacum colour in the same plant. While this particular plant is unimpressive in itself it could go places when crossed to the right plants. We know that the armeniacum colour is dominant over the background colour so this plant could make for very interesting complex hybrids if it proves fertile.

Ice, you still haven't answered whether this was the first bloom on this plant? The form could improve a lot more.

I don't think this was a waste of time at all. One now has insigne vigor and armeniacum colour in the same plant.
I don't know about anyone but I haven't found insigne to be an easy grower or vigorous. I do well with villosum, so I would say if you like this get a villosum aureum!
... We know that the armeniacum colour is dominant over the background colour so this plant could make for very interesting complex hybrids if it proves fertile.
Ice, you still haven't answered whether this was the first bloom on this plant? The form could improve a lot more.
I'd be interested to hear - what would you cross this with & why? What would you want the end result to be?
BTW has Ice ever responded to questions? He's got fabulous plant pics but it would be nice to get some feedback too.

True what you say, its just that I wonder how many crosses and time it will take to find those right plants.
I agree, my quess is that it would change so much, why not start with something that is closer to the end result one would have in mind?

I don't know about anyone but I haven't found insigne to be an easy grower or vigorous. I do well with villosum, so I would say if you like this get a villosum aureum!

Mine does well even with serious neglect. I guess I have a different clone... Wonder what this insigne clone was like...

I'd be interested to hear - what would you cross this with & why? What would you want the end result to be?

A very good question. Putting pollen onto a well rounded complex would be a terrible step backwards even if you wanted that rich armeniacum color in it...

My first step would be something like Paph Gege Hughes or Winston Churchill "Redoubtable" or one of its better breeding progeny. Both have excellent shape and both would benefit from a more intense yellow base color. The only questions is how dominant the armeniacum "shape" genes are. This clone has a nice mix between the insigne and armeniacum.

Perhaps the next step should be the villosum aureum?

Any comments from the professionals? Or is this plant a novelty dead-end in breeding.

A very good question. Putting pollen onto a well rounded complex would be a terrible step backwards even if you wanted that rich armeniacum color in it...
My first step would be something like Paph Gege Hughes or Winston Churchill "Redoubtable" or one of its better breeding progeny. Both have excellent shape and both would benefit from a more intense yellow base color.

The above contradicts itself.

This, if anything would be a more logical step.

My first step would be something like Paph Gege Hughes or Winston Churchill "Redoubtable" or one of its better breeding progeny. Both have excellent shape and both would benefit from a more intense yellow base color.

The above contradicts itself.

This, if anything would be a more logical step.
Hmmm surprised there hasn't been more comments.
I think I'm thinking along your lines Roy. How many stepping stone crosses would you need to make if you used this on a complex? Not worth it! It has a shape that's very similar to villosum but from a judging standpoint would it/could it be better than either parent? I would doubt it, it would/could have unique color but is that enough reason to make the cross? I like the species villosum but it's crosses? I guess if it had vigor & was throwing multiple blooms, it would make a nice specimen type plant.
One of my first thoughts was to go back to armeniacum to hopefully widen the petals & the pouch closing up those gaps but what happens to the dorsal? How many steps to improve that? Well....... we can quickly go full circle, we're back to the complexes but then why go backwards?

Latest posts

Back