insigne time

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very lovely both! Nice form and good colours! :)

It's so strange, I have the feeling, that this species have gone from being one of - if not the most common Paph-species in collections to much rarer nowadays? Strange, because I find the flowers so beautifull.

Lastly, foregive me for asking, but is there a slight hint of spotting (shades of specks) on the dorsal of the albinistic one (which would make it fma. sanderae) or is this just due to the photo?

Kind regards, Jens

Not really spotting, perhaps a faint hint.
I also wonder, where all the masses of insigne have disappeared. It is not to difficult to grow here, summers outside in a tree, winter with minimums around 15°C

Two really good P. insigne. I like them and I like thie species in general.
.......It's so strange, I have the feeling, that this species have gone from being one of - if not the most common Paph-species in collections to much rarer nowadays? Strange, because I find the flowers so beautifull....

I think there are at least two or three reasons, maybe more, why this happened.
-Times you are talking about, Jens were before all the pretty Paphs were discovered in China, Vietnam etc.. P. insigne and it's lovely hybrids (e.g. Paph. Capablanca) had been grown in many greenhouses.
-Growing orchids in flats on windowsills or under atificial light seemed to be impossible in these days.
-Nowadays the majority of flats are central heated, all rooms are heated, also many greenhouses miss a cooler section where you can grow P. insigne.
Anf if a grower has a cooler section in his greenhouse, he usually grows Pleurothallis, Draculas or Dendrobiums and you can't grow these plants together with Paph insigne or villosum.
Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
It's so strange, I have the feeling, that this species have gone from being one of - if not the most common Paph-species in collections to much rarer nowadays? Strange, because I find the flowers so beautifull.

I would love to have one again, but they seem quite hard to come by. If no one is selling them then they do become less common.

The first photo, of the more orange plant, is quite impressive.

Nowadays the majority of flats are central heated, all rooms are heated, also many greenhouses miss a cooler section where you can grow P. insigne.
My mentor in all things orchidiadic, Hans Christiansen, once made the remark that ordinary (diploid) insignes can be quite tricky to flower - but that polyploid plants of the species often would grow and bloom well, even on the window sill in a flat. Untill now he has been proven right, when it has come to my plants of that nature.
It seems, that I within some days will be able to produce my first 'ordinary' or 'classic' (that kind of sounds better! :D) insigne flower - having had it growing in the "cooler section" on my back stairs landing. Here is a photo of its growing space: 20200620_120228.jpg
The insigne in question is the plant in the upper right corner of the photo.

Latest posts

Back