infection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was much too complacent in that I am growing in an orchid room and thought I had control over most pest and diseases. Over a period of time I noticed an increase in leaf lesions that I originally attributed to a fungus problem. I sprayed with systemic fungicides but did not get the desired results. After close examination I diagnosed a thrip problem and when I instigated a systemic insecticide/fungicide regime my plants are spotless.

I was much too complacent in that I am growing in an orchid room and thought I had control over most pest and diseases. Over a period of time I noticed an increase in leaf lesions that I originally attributed to a fungus problem. I sprayed with systemic fungicides but did not get the desired results. After close examination I diagnosed a thrip problem and when I instigated a systemic insecticide/fungicide regime my plants are spotless.
If I may ask, what products did you use?

thrip are tiny orange insects that many can't see unaided; western flower thrip have either a black head or tail spot. they love to hide in flowers but often will chew on the underside of leaves if there aren't any flowers present. if you tip a flower over a piece of white paper and tap down on the flower, the thrip will fall out and then fly away. if you 'puff' into a flower lightly, often you will see them move up out and then fly away. you can catch them with yellow sticky cards; better with blue ones

I have never had thrip in my apartments, and this was when we had tons of them at the old jobsite! after interviewing for a job at a greenhouse nearby, I soon discovered that some thrip had followed me home either in my cloths or hair and a few were going after my pterostylis flowers (it's snow/winter outside!)

brown listerine might work but I found it almost impossible to get the pesky thrisps to gargle.

No insect can survive an alcohol/soap dispersion (2-3 teaspoons of 70° alcool, one tsp soap, for one liter of water) and there's no resistance, provided it's touched by the mix. If there's thrips involved, a regular spray at least weekly for several weeks may kill the reproduction cycle.

Note that thrips eggs can hatch in 36 hours if it's hot enough, or take weeks if cold. So act accordingly to break the cycle.

Such spray can be done every 2-3 days if needed. But I'd be careful not to let the water between leaves for too long, especially as it should be repeated.

A cinnamon decoction can do but once in a while, as the cinnamon effect on roots is to be prevented.

I'm not sure a chemical path is interesting as they tend to be resistant to a lot of products already, save to fight fungus here, as something looking like Cercospora seems to spread.

My two cents, and reminder: I'm not a slippers grower (yet) So sorry if something I write is "slipping" heresy. ;)

Latest posts

Back