Inexpensive kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you talking about?

Back in the day, no cell phones.

Plus, pictures in the catalogue was not crappy.

This is my last posting on this thread.

Last edited:
Lance, Ok you have your point of view, different of many growers here.

So please, don't try to change all the opinion.

The majority of sellers (and probably OZ too) sells regulary plants already bloomed (and not kept for their breeding programm) or plants from a cross less good than hoped (decided after to bloom the 1st plants). In France, we named that "rebus"
Do you think it is better than this ebay kovachii with flower?

$222 for this plant, one more reason to think this kind of flower can interest many growers and I don't think it's a problem for the OZ reputation.

But the good question is to know if other plants like that will bloom later. If yes, that's the real problem.
But one "bad" flower, no breeding problem and no reputation problem for me.

Then you need to search, "LostinPeru" or, "Aibo" here on STF!! :p

Ha ha,
I did not know there is a post about Aibo on STF, where was I at the time that thread was started?:clap::clap::clap:
thanks Eric

What are you talking about?

Back in the day, no cell phones.

Plus, pictures in the catalogue was not crappy.

This is my last posting on this thread.

What are you man or mouse. Never let anyone chase you away, just my 2cents.

Oz reputation was based on his selling practice: you souldn't afford the priceless plants that were supposed to be amazing. Only for the Elit Secret Growers Members. And all the "runts" (it means all other plants) were "trashed" or sell somewhere and you will never know...: The magic of secret! And maybe it was so...
Now we can see the priceless plants (well, in my imagination they were better: The magic of the secret again), we can see the runts, and we can see the New Elit Growers (LOL). Magic is gone and maybe is what lance said.
But buisness is buisness.
Just my to cents.

Quite a thread. Lots of angst. I believe before most public people could not buy an orchid zone plant. In this case, why should those previously not able to buy those plants be concerned about an oz 'elite' reputation? Occasionally selling plants listed as not elite standard will attract more attention to the new policy of selling more to the general public. The general public does not care about elite status if they have the opportunity to buy something not otherwise affordable.
Glen decker was talking with many at our orchid show last weekend and stated that the days of lots of high end buyers spending thousands on big plants or elite are gone; it was necessary to tap a bit more of the 'public' market. .. and if you think that one plant offered as non elite started at a lower price is going to damage a reputation, I think the discussion point is not statistically valid. Amid offers of thousands of plants on ebay and the Internet, one is not likely to create a publicly noticeable trend. If happens over and over there may be more chance of this.
Business is business. I don't care if oz loses elite status and lowers themselves to 'darned good' status along with the opportunity to buy something I otherwise couldn't. Oz has sold a bunch of big species that weren't up to their quality with flower pictures for reasonable prices and many of us would have been happy to get them; who is to say what will or won't come from the wild and ditch something because it 'doesn't match; vendors plant searchers and growers in many countries for more than just orchid plants are looking for any variation that doesn't match the 'norm' and try to sell it as a 'different' variety, species etc. If it doesn't match the expected who cares. This is all fuss just because it's kovachii and everyone gets riled about this species. It's just another plant; sell it with pic, move on, find better quality source and go from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back