Indian almond leaves

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l8dbug

Sara Brownthumb
Reaction score
So I have almost 4 acres of land considered 'protected wetland'. My dream is to have a forest of slipper orchids. Since cypripedium acaule is native to my state (along with the Venus fly trap) I figured that it would be an easy start, so I ordered some with little research (bad idea). Anyways I have my plants potted in leftover cp mix which is basically half pearlite half peat moss. I was using rain water to water them, but I read about using vinegar in the water. I actually don't have any ATM.

Anyways research got me to thinking. I read that acid loving plants like tannins in the water, so do my betas. Then I remembered I have a stack of Indian almond leaves (a huge stack, what was I thinking?). Indian almond leaves make the water acidic and add tannins to the water. So do you think I can water with almond leaf tea?

I would think the betas and aquatic plants would be more sensitive to any chemicals than my orchids. (I would never let my fish swim in water with fertilizer) I read that the chemical compounds in the IAL are basically the same as oak leaves. Acaule grows in this type of leaf litter. It would make sense that the compounds would seep into the plant's water supply. Maybe I should add oak leaves to the water?

If you are watering with rain water (slightly acidic, very low dissolved solids) and you have perlite (neutral) and peat moss (acidic) in your mix, you already have acidic conditions. Before blindly adding anything you should find out the pH of the mix as it is, and of the water.

I don't know about Indian Almond, but trees that put phytotoxic compounds in their leaves are aiming at the plants growing around them, not at aquatic plants or fish. It is entirely possible for those compounds to be effective herbicides without harming anything in the water.

Latest posts

Back