In your opinion.....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes...I forgot about the other barbata...I have killed sangii, mastersianum, purpuratum, hookerae,violascens and "papuanum" (really just a violescens...) They are all difficult to grow, and some like violescens are very slow...but as with brachy's, I have found that purpuratum, mastersianum and violascens are easy to bloom while they are alive. And yes, the same goes for fairreanum...charlesworthii just likes to die on me without gracing me with even a blasted bud. Take care, Eric

i find reflowering some speices hard

ones like malipoense bellatulum tadd's fairrieanum-sometimes they have a new growth coming when they flower -but it just stops then after flowering very slow if at all to take off again sometimes they just die .:sob: it is true they usually are the most expensive ones -- but one learns by ones mistakes -now i try to buy 2 seedlings (little ones cost less ) .
billie

Eric Muehlbauer said:
Oh yes...I forgot about the other barbata...I have killed sangii, mastersianum, purpuratum, hookerae,violascens and "papuanum" (really just a violescens...) They are all difficult to grow, and some like violescens are very slow...but as with brachy's, I have found that purpuratum, mastersianum and violascens are easy to bloom while they are alive. And yes, the same goes for fairreanum...charlesworthii just likes to die on me without gracing me with even a blasted bud. Take care, Eric

Ya... The purpuratum bloomed very easily, but generally wiped out after protracted winter problems. Between these and various pluerothalids is where I got the impetus to monitor and regulate humidity.

Also most paphs seem tolerable of allot of different potting mixes, but some of these difficult barbata seem to be showing a strong preference to bark and moss combos rather than CHC mixes for me.

Latest posts

Back