In or Out?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is Heather an idiot to want to leave her spiking roth. outside?

• YES, you dumbass!

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • No, it's happy and warm outside and doing fine, leave it be.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Best of both worlds - bring it inside if rain is expected.

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
I became concerned, not knowing how low the temperature would drop...Growing orchids outside is a bit more tricky then in a greenhouse, because you have less control over the environment.

Exactly why I am starting to get more concerned, but we're back up in the 80s today.

Here's a photo of the plants I took today - yes, I am aware of the issues - but so far so good and it's only until September, probably. Thankfully, I no longer have 150 plants, so moving them or changing the position of the shelf is easy.

The roth and the supardii are both on the top left.
shelvesoo2.jpg

I would protect them from full sun. Also, make sure that the bottom plants are protected from water dripping from the other top shelf plants.

Claudia
PS~ The orchids are beautiful!

Yes, those are the "issues" I was talking about. They've been like this all summer, and I watch them closely, the sun is apparently not intense enough to burn them and they are only in it for about an hour and a half.

I have a plastic cover I try to throw over them if rain is imminent in the evening, but often I am not home. Still, they've been fine like this so far.

I know little to nothing about rothschildianum, will the temperatture drop w/out rain create such a big problem? If it rains bring them in at night so they dont rot, seems simple. Also Roy, for slugs we used broken egg shells in our garden, it adds calcium and the slugs dont crawl over the sharp edges :).

Also Roy, for slugs we used broken egg shells in our garden, it adds calcium and the slugs dont crawl over the sharp edges :).

....when they crawl over the eggshells, they're history!

They need the cooler temps to initiate spikes, one would think when they are in spike, the temp drops shouldn't bother them. Who actually knows if that's the cause of blast? In my case with the sangii x roth, I don't remember if we had rain in association with the temp drops, but in their natural habitat there's alot of rain & humidity for most of the year. One author - I believe it was Catherine Cash, felt humidity is a factor of being successful with roths.:confused:oh my what are we to do? We just keep trying!

Last edited by a moderator:
I say move it in because something is going to bite it.
(and because everyone else says leave it out)
:poke:
If you don't move it in and something happens to the spike I will say "I told you so". And if you don't move it in and the flowers are perfect I will say "You got lucky". If you move it in and something happens to the spike I will say "You waited to long".
:poke:
Best bet is to sell it now and reap the profits.
:drool:
But if you worry about it something bad will surely happen.

bud

If it rain cover it. Move inside = 50 > 75% chance that it'll abort younger developing buds. Only those developed more than 75% will open. Plant knows when it being move. Normally will tollerates it; but when in spike, many abort young buds. It doesn't make sense to many, but it's my pass exp. with roths. & its decendants.

Latest posts

Back