Improving on MSU/rain mix with growstones

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Another penny in the fountain of complexity that is slipper orchid culture.
Just a heads up to show a real improvement in growth seen this year in the phrags when they were grown in the vicinity of growstones.
Culture so far consists of rain water and rain mix at low rates.
First up is the MDC that I've shown recently.
This was the first Phrag to come into contact with growstones. It has been growing in a tray of water together with a Phrag planted in 100% growstones for most of 2015. The Phrag in growstones did not like it and lost several roots but the MDC loved it!
From growing small growths slowly it went to large/huge in a year.
This is the plant currently. Four spikes with branches plus two other smaller growths.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/39664958@N03/i43Q0b
https://www.flickr.com/gp/39664958@N03/gvDD4h

So following on from this in September last year I potted a Suzanne Decker into a mix of leca and growstones after seeing this recommended on the orchid web site.
This is the plant now after 5 months growth.
The two new growths have matured and are sending up flowering shoots. Last year they flowered in June so these two have taken about 9 months to develop.
Growth is good but not 'great'. Not bad for a newly repotted plant.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/39664958@N03/747Hy0

However the plant sits in a tray of water together with two others that did very well.
The first is Don Wimber 'remembrance'. It is still recovering from rot a few years ago.This plant flowered for most of last summer. The new growth has matured in 8 months despite being twice as big as anything produced before. Some of the leaves are 3 inches across. The leaves are long and a lovely deep green.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/39664958@N03/2sV3Y8
https://www.flickr.com/gp/39664958@N03/h2d14N
https://www.flickr.com/gp/39664958@N03/0K9919

The other Phrag to do well is La Hougette. This did OK for a few years and grew slowly. This year since the addition of growstones to the other pot in the tray it has grown really well. Four big growths. The new flowering stem has two branches, not something that this cross is known for.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/39664958@N03/5b8fZN

This is the first flower.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/39664958@N03/4cq4CJ

So it may all be a coincidence and due to other factors but the much improved leaf growth is almost certainly due to something given off by the growstones into the water in the tray and subsequently picked up by the other plants.
My guess would be calcium or silica.
Remember these plants are grown indoors in a kitchen without extra heating or lighting. They plants are never sprayed and grow in average house humidity. They just sit it trays of rain mix.
Any views?

David

Looks like component of growstone is 98% glass, 1.25% calcium carbonate (Foaming agent to expand the glass powder ) i would assume the calcium is slowly leaching out?

Just read a bit further, it leaches soluble Silicon.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Growstones is a proprietary name. It is made from recycled glass. I use it in a mix with milled sphagnum moss. It does cause an increased pH (the milled sphagnum moss mitigates this). It does give some increase in Ca and silicon availability. I add a modest amount of lemon juice to the fertilizer mix to help deal with the modest elevation in the pH of the pour through after fertilization. Growstones give good aeration and moisture availability

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The manufacturer claims to do that (at first, they didn't) via an acid treatment, but no matter what you do, it is temporary only.

I agree that the pH raising effect of the Growstones appears to be persistent (at least over 1-2 years), but for me it has been modest when combined with milled sphagnum moss and has created a good opportunity to use the lemon juice (5-10 mL/gallon solution) and perhaps get some benefits from citrate (and maybe a couple of other things) in the juice (see other posts about citrate).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Growstones

Whatever the stones contain, it is extremely beneficial for phrag growth under my conditions.
The extra silicon or calcium carbonate produces a big improvement in growth on top of rain mix.
David

Whatever the stones contain, it is extremely beneficial for phrag growth under my conditions.
The extra silicon or calcium carbonate produces a big improvement in growth on top of rain mix.
David

That's why I say supplement the rain mix or msu fertilizers with calcium nitrate and magnesium to improve growth of phrags.... extra calcium.
If growstones achieve this then bravo!

I put ag lime (E.B. stone ag lime) in with my phrags mix, very little, and am experiencing new growth to bloom in 1 year, I would guess growstones in phrag mix would be benificial

Thanks for the info, this is very interesting for me. I've been looking for a replacement for the diatomite/dynarock that is no longer available. I really liked that stuff. I currently use leca, but the stuff I have doesn't have much wicking action ... so I've had to add rockwoll into the mix and I don't particularly like rockwool either.

My guess is that by adding calcium carbonate to the bottle glass they might be producing a flux saturated glass (bottle glass is already high in the fluxing oxides Na2O and CaO). If this is the case it would be likely that a calcium silicate (wollastonite) microcrystalline phase developed on cooling of the melt. This could explain the persistent alkaline reaction. CaCO3 would be stripped out by the acid treatment more quickly than the wollastonite. In aqueous systems wollastonite slowly reacts with CO2 to produce CaCO3 and SiO2, so the CaCO3 is being regenerated ... moreover this reaction is exothermic ! Magnesium silicates undergo this dissolution too, but at a much slower rate than wollastonite. If the producers of growstone experimented with mixtures of CaCO3 and MgCO3 they could probably come up with a product that produces alkalinity at a slower, more convenient rate, and providing both Mg++ and Ca++. That is some really cool chemistry ... err .. maybe warm chemistry !

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ation_as_a_possible_CO2_sequestration_process

Growstones

Interesting stuff!
Pure growstones as a growing medium are probably too alkaline for phrags but 50:50 seems to work well for Suzanne Decker plus a few others I am trying in the mix of leca and growstones.
This includes a straight besseae and the hybrids Beauport, cardinale and Jersey.
The plants have only been in this mix for a few months so it is a bit early to say but I like the idea of a totally inert medium. So far so good.
Also the plants that have benefited so far were growing in a variety of mediums.
The MDC and Don Wimber were in bark. La Houegtte grows in rockwool.
David

what is the secret for every plants in your collection to have such pristine green & gorgeously unblemished leaves ?

Culture

Hien,
There is no secret, I just grow the plants indoors in a west facing kitchen window.
There the environment is very constant compared to a greenhouse. Much less variation in temperature and light conditions, so little stress.
The temperature on a daily basis only varies by a few degrees, down to 10- 13c at night and up to 15-17c during the day in winter. In summer it will be a few degrees higher. It rarely gets over 25c. Blame the UK weather!
The plants just receive light through the window although they get moved out of the way if it gets hot in the summer.
So although the humidity is a bit low and the light is a bit low, the lack of stress more than makes up for these issues,
David

"They plants are never sprayed and grow in average house humidity. They just sit it trays of rain mix."

When you say never sprayed, you mean you don't fertilize? or you fertilize with solids?

Your plants really look good. Congrats. I like your idea of less stress. But these plants are definitely having some nutrients.

Feed

Gego,
I water with rain water plus rain mix every watering.
My conductivity meter tells me that the rain water reads 30 units, the local hard tap water reads 300 units and the rain water plus rain mix reads about 120 units. Pretty light feeding year round.
I never flush the pots and they all sit in about 1 cm of water. The water in the trays gets up to about 200 units. Beyond this I know no more.
The light feeding must be some of the reason that the phrags have responded to what ever the growstones are leaching into the water.
Remember that these mature plants are making up a mature growth in 8-9 months so there must be quite a high requirement for feed.
Maybe I would not see this response if I fed at higher levels.
The good thing about this quick maturation of growths is that the plants are actually in flower for more than half the year.
David

Back