I'm utterly insane..

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
I'm picking up my new(actually old but never assembled kit) greenhouse tomorrow. Am renting a 26ft. truck and picking it up. It will sit until I can figure out how to do the foundation work for a new 14 x 20' greenhouse. I hired someone to do the footings for my current 12' x 18' so this is going to be fun....NOT. I'm insane and I need help.:crazy:

The good news is this new g.h. will be to mainly house my paphs and shade lovers. So, lots of room for breeding and new purchases:drool:

If I can actually part with them and if you all have some green items to pay my winter propane bill!:wink:

It may be simpler to do a raised foundation/than to excavate for a slab or gravel, but then heating becomes more of an issue. Think drainage, R factor, materials, heat, etc. in your planning. I wish I had vacation time because I love construction and would love to help.

I have some algae ridden premium LECA

Ha! That's not on the line of green I was thinking of...

It may be simpler to do a raised foundation/than to excavate for a slab or gravel, but then heating becomes more of an issue. Think drainage, R factor, materials, heat, etc. in your planning. I wish I had vacation time because I love construction and would love to help.
Yes, I'll be doing some sort of raised foundation. Luckily we may get a week of frost in the winter so I don't have to fret too much. Drainage is already taken care of. I'm thinking a cement block foundation. But do to the weight I've read it's recommended you still have to trench out quite a bit and pour a cement footing for the block to sit on. I was hoping to just get away with the block but I may have to do some digging :< I wish you had vacation time too!!

My current g.h. is only on footings and mice get in. I won't be making that same mistake again.

We picked it up this afternoon and unloaded it. I'm pooped.

exciting adventure. Wish I had my own but I like that I don't have heating bills. It is bad enough heating the home and the office here in the northeast :sob:

Well, if it's any concillation to you both, this g.h. will be heated with propane for several reasons. My current g.h. is heated with natural gas and barely puts a blip on our overall bill. Propane is much more expensive so I may be very unhappily surprised come winter...but, more incentive to fill it up quick!

How much do you actually have to heat it being in CA?
If natural gas barely puts a blip on our overall bill & propane is more expensive, then ..... I'm missing the reasons for using propane???

I'm looking forward to trying out at least one of my 4 flow table set-ups. They are currently taking up a lot of space in the garage. This garage photo isn't mine, it's the man who custom made them, but you can get a general idea of how large they are. They're 4' x 8'.
Flowtables.jpg

flowtable2.jpg

Latest posts

Back