I'm kind when I say ugly

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me that if one did not have expectations of what this should look like based on past observation of vietnamense that it would almost certainly be viewed as beautiful and unique. It is worth noting that for most of us our perception of what vietnamense (or most species) should look like is based on stock that originated from a fairly small number of selected plants to start with, not the real-world variation of the species. I remember early comments about vietnamense dismissing it as a deformed delenatii. Not implying this is a different species, just that expectations color judgments.

I think the plant is fantastic and unusual. I have a 'normal' vietnamense I would give up for it in a second. I would really like to see it's sibs also.

I think the plant is fantastic and unusual. I have a 'normal' vietnamense I would give up for it in a second. I would really like to see it's sibs also.

I share that sentiment, Chad...I'd give up a normal for this if I had a normal to give.

I like this flower a lot, the creamy color with a touch of deep purple, if you display it amongst a bunch of normal pink vietnamense , it will definitely stand out . Think about it, a skinny Christie Brinkley standing in between Rosie o'donnel and Roseanne Barr pre-slimming down

Hello newbie here. After epic fail on the orchid front I am sincerely looking for advice on growing.

Is flower under developed due too a need for repotting and watering too frequently during the cooler months if you get get cooler weather where you are.

Is this greenhouse grown?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey everybody this is an old post but I would like to answer BarbaraAnne's concerns.
Poor flower quality can be the result of the conditions you described. In your scenario, root loss is the most likely issue. Most cases for me is the summer time. Excessive heat will deform flowers on plants that typically bloom in cooler months or if I mistakenly buy a plant that is genetically made up of normally cool growing species all year round they have a high percentage of deformed flowers.
What I have found helps with blooming marginal plants is to cool the roots. Semi-hydroponics works well with many, such as Phrag schlimii.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hello newbie here. After epic fail on the orchid front I am sincerely looking for advice on growing.

Is flower under developed due too a need for repotting and watering too frequently during the cooler months if you get get cooler weather where you are.

Is this greenhouse grown?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some orchids are easy but over-watering can be an issue. Welcome to STF.

Back