I'll let it bloom this year, PEOY 'Sublime Botanical Noodliness' 2021

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close enough. Pardon my appearance, I am battling a bunch of kidney stones at the moment; was fighting back vomit as I took the pictures.
Spike is 70cm tall, biggest flower is 9.7 x 38cm, widest dorsal is 5.2cm flattened, petals are between 1.6 and 1.7cm flattened. PEOY 2021.jpgPEOY 2021-2.jpgPEOY 2021-3.jpgPEOY 2021-4.jpg

Last edited:
Totally out there Tony! My favorite is your second posted pic. Have you had it judged or maybe you're not interested in that aspect? Given the right moment it could score a mid FCC, maybe better.

Really incredible, and amazing culture, congratulations! Do you know the names of the parents?

Totally out there Tony! My favorite is your second posted pic. Have you had it judged or maybe you're not interested in that aspect? Given the right moment it could score a mid FCC, maybe better.
Lots of hurdles to overcome there.
- It's 100 miles to the nearest center, and it's PA (The old joke goes: "In England, they drive on the left of the road, in PA, they drive on WHAT'S left of the road.")
- It's too big to fit upright in the car.
- Last, but not least: Although I have found reports of unfair bias in judging to be mostly fake news, there is one area where I agree with AOS malcontents, and that is the judging of outliers. If something is "beyond" the record, it is my experience that there is temptation to force it to fit into the record, or to try and retool the standard based off a single plant. This is a diss against the human ego, not the AOS. I have personally watched a plant go on the table with awarded siblings from the same pod in the record; watched it be vastly superior to those siblings in size, form, color, and flower count; and watched as the judges decided to disregard its awarded siblings and judge it pretending there was no record to inform their decision. Therefore, my rule is: Never take an outlier to judging; they will change the rules in the middle of the game.

Where is the plant originally from again?
I bought it as an unbloomed seedling from Little Brook Orchids a few years ago.
Really incredible, and amazing culture, congratulations! Do you know the names of the parents?
Sadly, no. The original tag just listed the species.

Lots of hurdles to overcome there.
- It's 100 miles to the nearest center, and it's PA (The old joke goes: "In England, they drive on the left of the road, in PA, they drive on WHAT'S left of the road.")
- It's too big to fit upright in the car.
- Last, but not least: Although I have found reports of unfair bias in judging to be mostly fake news, there is one area where I agree with AOS malcontents, and that is the judging of outliers. If something is "beyond" the record, it is my experience that there is temptation to force it to fit into the record, or to try and retool the standard based off a single plant. This is a diss against the human ego, not the AOS. I have personally watched a plant go on the table with awarded siblings from the same pod in the record; watched it be vastly superior to those siblings in size, form, color, and flower count; and watched as the judges decided to disregard its awarded siblings and judge it pretending there was no record to inform their decision. Therefore, my rule is: Never take an outlier to judging; they will change the rules in the middle of the game.

I bought it as an unbloomed seedling from Little Brook Orchids a few years ago.

Sadly, no. The original tag just listed the species.
Distance of 100 miles is a dedication. And not fitting in car is a big obstacle.

It is unfortunate that sometimes judging misfires. It’s happen so many times to me as well. But we just brush it off as a learning experience and hope that it doesn’t happen again. I’ve had one of my plants awarded twice for similar circumstances.

All I can say is we judges are humans, and to err is only human. The corollary defines the conclusion.

Latest posts

Back