Iko Iko x Satchels Legend

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Iko Iko 'Piping Rock' AM/AOS x Satchels Legend 'Haley Suzanne' AM/AOS
Iko Iko is half charlesworthii.
I have bloomed two plants of this same cross and both turned out very nice and dark.
Unlike charlesworthii x vini, the dorsal sepal does not roll back and twist around on these plants.

upapgBSl.jpg

lMpXfezl.jpg

Stunning. It may be a bit too early but I suddenly have a taste for a lush pinot I've been saving.

Nice. Where from?
The tag shows QF, Quintal Farm grew this seedling and my other plant of the same cross. I bought them both off eBay. The seller was Icepengyn who passed away last year or the year before. He had lots of cool stuff from QF and I bought quite a few nice things from him.
The parent plants' clonal names obviously indicate Glen Decker probably made the cross, I'm guessing?

What are the chances I could trade a division for this one lol? I adore it.
Maybe a few more years before I will feel safe enough to make a division because this plant is finally picking up a speed.
I bought this in low spike in 2016/17. It unfortunately dried up and died. I had a sibling plant which made it to open bloom and it was everything I could ask for in this cross! I was very much tempted to give this one away to make a space for some other plant, but I held on to it because I liked the leaves on this one better. The other plant, while the flower is larger and fuller, has leaves that look more like a typical maudiae. I like them but not as unique since I've seen so many of these. :)
Anyways, it took a very long time to even initiate the new growth. The second growth grew many leaves as if to make up for the dying older growth. In the end, this new growth never even produced a spike. Just tons of leaves. The older growth was about half dead which made me nervous a bit. Then, the third growth started and made it to bloom in 2019. I decided to keep the plant seeing that the flower shape is quite different than its sibling for variety's sake.
It bloomed again February 2020, exactly one year ago. and again this year.
There already is a new growth sending up a spike while this current flower is on. So, it took a while but finally picking up a pace.
Sorry about such a long post. Thank you! :)

Maybe a few more years before I will feel safe enough to make a division because this plant is finally picking up a speed.
I bought this in low spike in 2016/17. It unfortunately dried up and died. I had a sibling plant which made it to open bloom and it was everything I could ask for in this cross! I was very much tempted to give this one away to make a space for some other plant, but I held on to it because I liked the leaves on this one better. The other plant, while the flower is larger and fuller, has leaves that look more like a typical maudiae. I like them but not as unique since I've seen so many of these. :)
Anyways, it took a very long time to even initiate the new growth. The second growth grew many leaves as if to make up for the dying older growth. In the end, this new growth never even produced a spike. Just tons of leaves. The older growth was about half dead which made me nervous a bit. Then, the third growth started and made it to bloom in 2019. I decided to keep the plant seeing that the flower shape is quite different than its sibling for variety's sake.
It bloomed again February 2020, exactly one year ago. and again this year.
There already is a new growth sending up a spike while this current flower is on. So, it took a while but finally picking up a pace.
Sorry about such a long post. Thank you! :)
Wow great story. Love it. Glad you kept it.

I can wait till it's ready to naturally divide in the future. I'm very patient lol.

Incidentally, do you have pics of the flowers of the others of this cross? Be interesting to see the variation. Maybe even previous blooms of this plant.

I just confirmed with Glen Decker that he made the cross years ago and sold a bunch to QF. I'm begging him to remake it!

This plant bloomed out exactly like this last year. I thought I shared but can't find it here.
Here is the old thread showing its sibling with fuller, rounder, larger dorsal on its very first bloom.
Clich on Vini below.
This plant grows and blooms with more ease, so far. The small white break was present this one time and never showed up again.
It has since bloomed every year, but still a single growing point. Oh, well...

Vini

LeslieEe-
I just reread the old thread and I mentioned that I bought three plants from this cross.
I do not remember what happened to the third one. lol

This plant bloomed out exactly like this last year. I thought I shared but can't find it here.
Here is the old thread showing its sibling with fuller, rounder, larger dorsal on its very first bloom.
Clich on Vini below.
This plant grows and blooms with more ease, so far. The small white break was present this one time and never showed up again.
It has since bloomed every year, but still a single growing point. Oh, well...

Vini
That one is fantastic too! I wouldn't mind that division too hehe.

Latest posts

Back