Identification needed!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secundino

Adorable Stud
Reaction score
There is an unknown Acanthaceae growing in two baskets with orchids and I have not been able to identify it. As far as I am aware it is not part of local flora, and I assume I got it through bark substrate.
Does someone know a good place for identifying little weeds? May be a forum or another site.
Thanks!

Yep, I've a lot ... I just need a site to place them! :wink:

But for you, I'll upload one here, too:
Acanthaceae%20noid.jpg

These are the capsules (the strongest evidence that it is a Acanthaceae, I'll be sure when it opens) and the 'flowers': I've never seen them open, or larger or anything else then these white (presumably four petals same as the calyx) hoods, tomorrow there will be two more capsules, already big. The leaves - simple, with cystoliths - are opposite, decussate, shiny and scarcely hairy, only three to four pairs of them; the whole plant is just around 10 cm in height.

No estoy en caralibro, nor do I intend to join facebook.

Yes, there is a University nearby, though the main botany department is on Tenerifa Island. I'd have to pot the plant and take it there... but perhaps I'll just sow a few seeds (if I get them before the capsule explodes...) and go there in a few weeks.
Thank you for these ideas; if I ever get a clue what it might be, I'll post.:wink:

After the first spike did not produce any open flower but three pairs of capsules, the second spike DOES flower!
Pseuderanthemum%20variabile.jpg

The flowers are fairly big and showy for the little plant, not ephemerous at all. Searching through the net, I wonder if this plant can be an Australian native Acanthaceae, considered a weed by Australian orchidist: Pseuderanthemum variabile? This plant is said to not produce flowers at times and having a rhizome (which I haven't seen up to now). Though one thing does not fit, and that is the type of inflorescence ...
I'd appreciate to have some response from our Australian growers!

And how did this plant arrive at the antipodes ...?? (orchiata...?)

Last edited:
It looks like you have your identification. This species is found in parts of the southeastern US now, so I wouldn't be surprised to find it as an introduced weed almost anywhere. In what way is the inflorescence not as expected? If a plant is stunted or stressed, when I assume it would be most likely to show cleistogamy, I wouldn't be surprised to see it also produced abbreviated inflorescence morphology that might seem atypical.

It is a weed! Grows rampant in greenhouses. Worse than oxalis. It has a very long tenacious root. It throws seed all over, and once it is established, it is very difficult to eradicate. But it is pretty.

... then I should eradicate it as long as it only grows in two baskets. But the seed capsules have already exploded and completely disappeared...!

Thanks to you all!

Back