Ida cinnabarina vs. Ida costata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

anwo

Hey!

Is this really a syn. or are there differences between them?! I'm confused... -.-

greetings,
Andi

I'm sorry to say this but the plants formely known as Ida have now been moved to the genus Sudamerlycaste. :rollhappy:
As for Sudamerlycaste costata, it's been put in the cinnabarina section, along, of course, with Sudamerlycaste cinnabarina. I hope this remove your confusion. He! He! He! :evil:

i know i know... but i'm always to lazy to type Sudamerlycaste.... XD (also it sonunds strange.... Ida sounds better! ;-) )

okay ... kew says it's Sudamerlycaste cinnabarina AND Sudamerlycaste costata.....

but i still don't know what the difference is between them.... -.-

I went to Dr. Henry Francis Oakley's book Ida, Lycaste and Anguloas and here's what he says about both species:

cinnabarina has larger flowers than costata and petals and sepals are thinner and longer. Flower scapes is at least 500 mm for the first and about 200 mm for the second. Both flowers have five keels on the callus but they are described as glabrous in cinnabarina and papillose in costata. Overall, cinnabarina is also a larger plant. There is also a giant form of cinnabarina that has even larger flowers than the typical species. :D

Michel

I used cinnabarina var. Major to describe the flower. However the normal cinnabarina has flower segments that look similar to costata. But the plant is much bigger. Also, the hypochile forms a S curve that is not seen in costata. A good thing I have this book, otherwise I couldn't tell just looking at the flowers alone. Strongly recommend it if you decide to collect these magnificient plants. :)

Sudamerlycaste ? - is that mandatory?, personally I think it sucks, anybody knows who decided this ?

Central America and Mexico. For instance, Lycaste deppei and aromatica are from Mexico, cruenta, lasioglossa and skinneri are from Guatemala. But there are a few in South America like schilleriana in Colombia and macrophylla in Peru. So the separation of species is never complete geographically.

I used cinnabarina var. Major to describe the flower. However the normal cinnabarina has flower segments that look similar to costata. But the plant is much bigger. Also, the hypochile forms a S curve that is not seen in costata. A good thing I have this book, otherwise I couldn't tell just looking at the flowers alone. Strongly recommend it if you decide to collect these magnificient plants. :)

sry! This "unread posts - thing" doesn't work very well! ;-)

of course.... I NEED this book! ;-) But i'm just a poor student.... so I could buy this book... or 5 Orchids instead.... Can't help myself... if u know what I mean! XD XD XD

Will never have this book!

Yes, I know what you mean Anwo. I've been there and I may end up there again as I grow older and if pension money runs out. You may check ebay or other sites for books. Who knows, it may come out cheap one day. :)

As for this thread, what can I say? I guess there are not many people in this forum interested in lycastes. :confused: Then again, it's a slipper forum. :p

Michel

tahahah XD

Yeah! I saved this book at my ebay search.... but... to find an english scientific book at ebay Germany.... same like P. sanderianum var. alba with pink dots!^^

greetings,
andi

Yes, I know what you mean Anwo. I've been there and I may end up there again as I grow older and if pension money runs out. You may check ebay or other sites for books. Who knows, it may come out cheap one day. :)

As for this thread, what can I say? I guess there are not many people in this forum interested in lycastes. :confused: Then again, it's a slipper forum. :p

Michel

I love Lycastes. I've just never had enough room to collect many. We've added a few more now that the greenhouse is up. I still don't have skinneri or any of the wonderful large flowered hybrids, yet.

Back