I'd like to rant and ***** for

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abax

In Remembrance 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just a moment please. I'm getting quite tired of mislabeled
plants. It's becoming all too common particularly with
Paphs. and Phrags. I've been hearing it frequently from
reliable vendors that flasks they've bought have proved to
be mislabeled. At first I thought the problems were simple
mistakes, but I'm beginning to think there's some deliberate deception. For instance, I've bought three Phrags. from three different, reputable vendors and the
large plants were labeled fischeri. All three turned out to
be schlimii. How many "mistakes" have to happen to become deception? Might we, as customers, become a
bit more concerned and show it?

I feel your pain, alot of mine are misslabeled, I can imagine from how many different ways it could happen, but aaarrrgggghhhh!!!! dammit!!!! I'm next to positive a recent inquiry of mine is a hangianum not a brachy x hangianum, time will tell

Buy one in bloom.
As for the hangianum, I was told that sometimes plants are purposely mislabeled as something else in order to get them in to the US. I guess since they are allowed now, not as much as an issue.

I guess the safest way is to buy it in bloom and know what you are looking for.

I remember last spring a reputable grower was selling one. By the look of it, it was a hybrid and probably Hanne Popow. It was a very good one though but still a hybrid. In hind sight, I wished I would have picked it up.

You should be able to return yur appletonium for a tigrinum x barbatum or get a refund and keep the appletonium

Angela,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Usually, the problem is with re-sellers and not the breeders who sell their own product. Vendors who have a breeding program and sell flasks/seedlings of their own breeding tend to keep very tight control at every step of the process, from seed capsule to finished product. That's not to say mistakes don't happen in the lab, but they are few and far between. When a vendor buys flasks or seedlings from other commercial sources for resale, however, it's a different story. The tight controls used by the breeders are sometimes not possible when the product changes hands along the way.

Last edited:
Another problem happens at greenhouses that are open to the public. People pick up a label to read it and sometimes don't put it back in the right pot, or don't seat it properly and it falls out. I've seen all that happen.

So Eric, how do I get in touch with the Fischers?

Tom, vendor I mentioned got a flask labeled fischeri that
turned out to be schlimii was from Glen Decker. I think that was an honest mistake and the vendor told me immediately when I asked about fischeri. Sad, but no
problem. However, the proliferation of amateur hybridizing compounds the problem of identification on
down the line. As you can see from the posts, this isn't
an isolated problem. Eventually, the breeder gets the
blame justified or not. I empathize being in the nursery
business...I really do. Another problem in our business is
the confusion concerning what constitutes a nursery and a
garden center. We sell large trees wholesale to garden centers
and large landscapers by the trailer truck load, not to retail
customers. Customers often don't know the difference and it's
the industry's fault for not properly identifying what business is
what.

You said it Dot. We used to have a garden center as well and the
tags ended up all over the place no matter how carefully we grouped
annuals and perennials together and each one tagged. Every morning was designated as put the proper tags back in the proper pots.

I have no solution to this problem, but I really think breeders and
vendors need to be thinking it through if they want trust from their
clients.

Vendors should have plant security officers during open house, whenever somebody pulls a tag out of a plant they get punched in the ribs :p

Another problem happens at greenhouses that are open to the public. People pick up a label to read it and sometimes don't put it back in the right pot, or don't seat it properly and it falls out. I've seen all that happen.

Could sellers put a second tag in the bottom of the pot? Someone suggested that as a trick to prevent not knowing the plant from lost tags.

So Eric, how do I get in touch with the Fischers?

Tom, vendor I mentioned got a flask labeled fischeri that
turned out to be schlimii was from Glen Decker. I think that was an honest mistake and the vendor told me immediately when I asked about fischeri. Sad, but no

clients.
According to the website, they don't have it anymore . I wonder why they don't make more of the plant that bear their name .
https://www.orchidweb.com/products/phrag-fischeri-4n-colchicine-treated-~152.html

"Tom, vendor I mentioned got a flask labeled fischeri that
turned out to be schlimii was from Glen Decker. I think that was an honest mistake and the vendor told me immediately when I asked about fischeri."

Are you sure that the mistake flask is from Glen? The very good vendor that I bought my "mis-identified fischeri" plants from told me that the mixed up fischeri flasks are from a different breeder not Glen , and the blooming photo that alerted and prompted the seller to contact me with the attached photo looks like an unknown hybrid not a straight schlimii .
I also appreciate so much that when the seller saw one of the plant in bloom , I got contacted and informed that my plants are not fischeri with offer of correcting the mistake. That is great integrity on the part of the seller . I was so impressed that I bought even more plants from that seller .

I can't confirm that the plants are from Decker, but I believe the vendor and she said so. Hien your statement
illustrates just what I'm ranting about. This mislabeling is
happening everywhere intentionally or not. I'm purchasing from maybe three to four vendors that I really
trust and pass up other plants I'd really like to have because of the trust issue.

I can give it a try Eric.

I spoke with Prof. Guido Braem about this before... LOL talk about getting someone fired up!
Unfortunately there is a nasty combination of laziness and greed even in the orchid world. We have no clue what we have until the flower blooms. Best thing to do is not give said vendors business again, and you can go online and put them on blast. With social media now days their is no excuse for poor customer service nor rookie mistakes like "mislabeling."

Latest posts

Back