Icepengwyn sad news

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My condolences to his family. I'm very sad to read this, and I will make sure to treasure all the plants I've bought from him all the more. May he rest in peace.

This has been a tremendous shock and loss for all of us here in the Michigan orchid community and beyond. I can only imagine how much more difficult it must be for his family. I send my condolences to his loved ones.

Rest in peace, Alex. You will be sorely missed.

A total shock. He looked well at the MOS Spring Show this year so I'm guessing it was something sudden and unforeseen. We judged together on occasion back in the day, and did some business on the side. He will be missed by many in the orchid community; growers and judges alike. Rest in peace, Alex.

Alex's obituary, by request:

Obituary for Alexander Michael Challis
September 14, 1961 – June 26, 2017

Beloved son of Michael and Natalia Challis and brother of Peter Michael Challis, reposed in the Lord on June 26, 2017.

Alexander was a member of our Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church since his early childhood. He loved his Parish, its traditions, and upon moving to the present location he planned, helped and planted the donated trees enhancing our grounds. As Alex had a Master of Science in Biology from the University of Michigan, he insisted there should be a botanical description placed at each tree.

Alex devoted much time to his work in the Orchid Business here in Michigan, nearby States and as far as Hawaii. Alex was blessed by his very loving extended family, so many friends in his native Ann Arbor, and by the enthusiastic folks of the Ann Arbor Orchid Society.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in memory of Alex to Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, in support of the ongoing iconography work. http://www.stnickaa.org/iconography.

Latest posts

Back