I think I might be a addict

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegayde

Reaction score
shhhh do not tell anyone but I think there are around 100 assorted pots of orchids here in my tiny apartment outside St Louis Mo on the IL side of the river......my friends and family come over and I deny I have added to my collection telling them that the orchids they saw last time have just grown and had babies ect ect and that there are really no more plants than there were before even though every surface in my living room is starting to be covered with pots of orchids.....currently I am browsing online catalogs for shelving units so that I can add more plants......LOL ok so maybe its not quite as bad as that but why didn't anyone warn me that once I got started down this road that I would soon have more orchids than I have $$$$$....my collection at this point is very varied as I am a novice and I am guilty of the....OOOOHhhhhh that looks pretty.....or....the......WoW thats only 99 cents on e-bay let me by 10 or 12.......is there a cure for this disease? cause I know it has to be cheaper than buying more orchid plants and more aussie gold and more pots....ohhh yeah now I am using the round pound deli containers as cheap pots LOL.....I think I am sick

Welcome to the club! No, there is no known cure. Well, I suppose a person could quit cold turkey, but what fun would that be?!

SlipperFan said:
Welcome to the club! No, there is no known cure. Well, I suppose a person could quit cold turkey, but what fun would that be?!
I am going to respectfully disagree with Dot here. :evil:
There is a 3-step cure.
Step 1 - Admit you have a problem.
Step 2 - Pack up the orchids you don't really like.
Step 3 - Send those orchids off to your friends.

And like Heather said...
Heather said:
You are amongst friends so no worries!:)

OMG pack up my babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO..... could I just go get my Mom and pack her up instead??? how about a neice or two?

Welcome from NYC. Search for threads about addiction here and you'll see it's pretty common here. I recommend you find a common thread [things yu grow well, purple flowers, variegated leaves, Phrag besseae hybrids, etc] and concentrate your collecting to those. That will give you focus and direction until yu exhaust the possibilities. Good Luck and search out the growing area threads.

Welcome to the club...glad to have you here...My name is Marco and I'm an orchids addict too.

bwester said:
we dont have any addicts here........

....just a bunch of folks that like orchids

Slipperfan said:
Ah, but which ones would those be???

the ones taking up space you know your friends will like :D you can only have so many shelves for new plants

Well.........since I only have two orchids at this point in time, I think that there need be some balance to the universe........

I think I had 2 for about hmmmmm 15 seconds......then I opened the box pulled out the plants and I was hooked....btw I am just curious LOL does any one else spend time just looking at each plant every day to see if it has grown new roots....a new shoot.....grown a millimeter????

Renegayde said:
I think I had 2 for about hmmmmm 15 seconds......then I opened the box pulled out the plants and I was hooked....btw I am just curious LOL does any one else spend time just looking at each plant every day to see if it has grown new roots....a new shoot.....grown a millimeter????

Yeah sure. Heck, I'm starting to grow plants for their frikken foliage! :rolleyes:

Heather said:
Yeah sure. Heck, I'm starting to grow plants for their frikken foliage! :rolleyes:

Isn't that what they're for? :eek:

Seriously, I got my first paph over a year ago...in bloom, and I vowed that I would start collecting as soon as it bloomed again. I did manage to keep it alive, but it seems that all I can grow is leaves. Got a phal for mother's day and now that I've cleared all the other plants out of my bay, I think I'll just buy whatever I see in the stores. They seem to be only selling phals around here though. Do I have to go the mail-order route in order to get more paphs?

I spend and inordinate amount of time looking at my plants to see how much and what they've grown. I've taken to chiding my paph and holding up an African Violet in bloom to show it what it's supposed to do. Flattery didn't seem to help. Needless to say, my family thinks I'm totally insane.

I've had some Paphs for years that haven't bloomed. Luckily I mostly like Parvi haybrids and they have beautiful foliage. Unfortunately for the common grower, Paphs aren't as easy to propagate as Phals so they're not as common; so yes you may have to seek vendors online. I was lucky that I traveled to Kissimee and Chicagoland where there were good vendors, and that there were some also at my local orchid society.

Heather said:
frikken foliage! :rolleyes:

Don't you mean fuukiran :poke:

I insisted that I didn't like slippers only about 3 or 4 months ago...now I have...well... a few :eek:

Back