• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I need this Paph!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
If anyone knows of a source for Paph. mahonium, please let me know! It is apparently similar to Paph. argus, which is a favorite of mine, and is said to be co-authored by our very own Olaf.

I'd pay top dollar for one,

Jon
________
Volcano Vaporizers

Last edited:
Jon in SW Ohio said:
If anyone knows of a source for Paph. mahonium, please let me know! It is apparently similar to Paph. argus, which is a favorite of mine, and is said to be co-authored by our very own Olaf.

I'd pay top dollar for one,

Jon

I think I'd be careful about throwing other well-respected taxonomists names around on "practice" descriptions.

Oh NO - not again !! don't tell me that someone found a new specie in their greenhouse :poke:

Dear Jon,
I have heard about this name some days ago.
It is written on a webpage that I am the co-author but this would be really new for me. The same is also with the other unpublished descriptions by Patrick Mahon.
I have written him but get no answer.
When it shall be a joke then it is not a good one.

Best greetings

Olaf

paphjoint said:
Oh NO - not again !! don't tell me that someone found a new specie in their greenhouse :poke:

Lest anyone gets too confused, I thought I would copy this over here (from "the end of the line" thread).

Mahon said:
Paph. mahonium, obviously, is a made up species... it was part of practicing publication layouts... I also I had Tolumnia poopsiclii once... very rare as well ;)

-Pat

Dear Olaf,

I have not recieved any contact from you. My email is: [email protected]

Everyone,

As for the species actualy existing, it does not. I routinely practice writing scientific papers, where I either describe "new" species (which could be one of my orchids in bloom at the time), or make up some names and dimensions, characteristics, and properties of flowers and plants in order to develop form and fluidity in my work. There is actually no problem, I am not describing any species without knowledge of anyone... I am practicing my work. It would be quite foolish to describe a new species without a type of any kind, and with an author or co-author that has no idea what is going on. It was my own personal practicing.

-P.A. Mahon

ADDITION:

I thought I would throw this out too... those practice descriptions are not even being publicized. It was on my personal site, and for my personal use. Anyone who thinks that 'Jesus H. Christ' and 'Mother Tehresa' are taxonomists, I don't think so... ;)

-P.A. Mahon

Latest posts

Back