I hate waiting...so I didn't. Cyp reginae indoors

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years back, I bloomed trays full of both Cyp reginae and Cyp parviflorum for an orchid show. The perfume was heady. And the colors much stronger. I basically left them in their growing trays, under mulch and snow until mid February, and then brought them into a cold (but above freezing) space the got good sun. I think the windows were on the west side. The growing medium was fish-tank sized quartz gravel, live sphagnum, and charcoal.

Oh my, let me condense into a single reply lol.
It's impossible to recreate the highly-aerated, soaking wet, ultra-fluffy muck that they grown in out in the wild. If you've never seen it, the best descriptor I can give you is chocolate mousse, but with dirt. Mix is 70 ish percent perlite, the rest is equal parts seedling potting soil, oyster shell, and chick grit. Daily water.
I overwintered them indoors in the refrigerator for 3 1/2 months. A bit lean on the dormancy, but necessary to reset their schedules for all-year indoor culture. I staggered their timing to see about how early they need to come out to bloom for the first-second week of April. Clearly the first one is too early when grown in my warm space downstairs. #2 is looking about right. The second experiment will be to move them upstairs during the final week to see if color can be improved without needing to grow them cool for the entire period, which would make timing more difficult to predict.
Overall, though, these seem to be able to take a beating.

The plant and flower are basically perfect condition, just a little light color. Yes it is basically flowing black muck in nature, often. Having really cold roots really helps it withstand heat, cold flowing water really helps that

I have tried growing them outside here, but just too many rabbits. I had about given up on these, but you inspire me again, to go the potted route in a greenhouse (I have two, one unheated, the other a tropical orchid house). I live in the Puget Sound area.

Thanks Tnyr5( sorry, I don t know your valid name) for reply.I stopped with cyps outdoor too.I had many rare and expensive plants in my elder garden for few years but when i had to move and i digged out, all of them died.Last year i tried with calceolus in my new place , it developed well outdoor till it was eaten by a snail during only one night.I recently bought 3 cyps again but i will grow them only indoor.

Back