I don't know what to get!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heather said:
Tien - you watch out - you start with rain and then you get mosquitoes and then you get fish to eat the mosquitoes and then...well come winter, you need to bring the fish inside...

Now, I have fish! :D
I love my fish though. (thanks yet again, Lien!)

What is it with us orchid growers anyway?
I always wonder if it is just a coincidence that we are all type A. :confused:
Someone should really do their PhD on us!

What kind a fish?? Got any pictures?

Ha, yes, that was an interesting experiment. The fish turned into pets pretty darn fast.

I have Endler's livebearers, which I'm proud to say are "pure" from the original group found in Venezuela in 1971.

And yes, I do keep a database on them as well.

(no I don't, I'm kidding):D
No pics on this computer. Maybe I can take some new ones soon.

Heather said:
They ate any mosquito larvae in the rainbarrel, and provided fertilizer for the plants. :)
Now they are just pets though.

Cool, that is definately a two for one. No better fertilizer than fish poop. :poke:

I grew up in a household fanatical about fish. We had a three hundred gallon tank with this really big, long arrowana (not Australian or the silver, but gorgeous), and I remember having to clean it. I don't know what happened or how it happened but I heard a loud crash and the tank broke and all the water started to flood our living room. I was maybe 15, 16, and had no idea what was going on. There, on the carpet, flopped the fish that my parents had spent so much money and time on raising it. I did what I could and quickly filled the tub with warm water and threw the fish in. Luckily it survived. The next week my parents sold it. Since then, I have never wanted a fish again.

I got this Bllra Tahoma glacier about two months ago when I first started. I had a big over watering problem and this tahoma glacier was my signal plant that I was doing something wrong. So this bllra basically has no roots and has been sitting in an s/h pot. I guess i was hoping to rescue the plant by trying to put it in s/h.

But, I just took a look at it again today to check resevoir levels. And it's looking mighty shriveled. I actually can't wait for it to bite the dust now. I guess it'll be a good thing if it survives. But if it doesn't :clap: I'll have more room for paphs! :poke:

Heather - I email Paul and Mary. :D I've decided on the (philippinense x hirsutissimum) and one of their roth species seedlings, hopefully they still have some left. Im also planning to get a haynadianum alba and wallisii from peach state and perhaps a platyphyllum seedling. But i heard they can grow huge. (the platyphyllum) So need to do some research on it before making a final decision. I also found a little diamond somewhere, a paph landmark. I'm waiting on their reply. If the landmark is still available I wont be ordering the plants from peach state.

Heather said:
oh boy...you're sunk! :rollhappy:

(that's great!) :evil:

Heather I've been looking at my tiny grow area. I got rid of one of my big noid phal and gave it to my girlfriends mom. Now I'm giving her my Tillandsia Cyanea. I'm thinking about getting rid of the the 2 vanda seedlings I bought in the little sacks. I don't even know why in the world I bought vanda seedlings. I need more room. I'm going to have a big growing problem!!!:poke: I need to make some shelves.

Ok...ok I couldn't make up my mind. I just ended up going on another shopping spree and completely pass my initial 3 plant maximum. I couldn't help myself. :sob: Man this hobby is way to addicting.

I emailed Paul at Ratcliffe and ended up getting

-Landmark (glaucophyllum 'Sweet' x sanderianum) [didnt know he had these glad he did i've been searching for it all over!]
-(philippinense x hirsutissimum)
-rothschildianum ('Trinity' AM/RHS x 'Sabah') (a seedling, decided to brave one)

-Iantha stage (i was staring at the picture on the website and it just keep on saying "i'm yellow, you've been lookin for yellow flowers remember" over and over again, dont know if they have any left though i never verified hope they do)
-temptation (how fitting to be the last one thats free, free that is if they still have any iantha stages left)

After I placed the order I spent 2 hours today moving things around on my grow table to maximize the space. Where there's a will there's. :poke:

nice haul! is that avatar the infamous 'starscream'?

decepticon.jpg

Jmoney said:
nice haul! is that avatar the infamous 'starscream'?

decepticon.jpg

Jason/Marcus - It is starscream. I have him sitting on my desk as we speak, just the new G-1 reissues though =\. The g1 reissues are still metal but their not the same as the originals on the star scream the wings don't push in all the way in jet form and the missles are longer. I love the new drawings though :D . They have so much character in them. I got the picture from here

http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/covers/index.php?dir=Dreamwave&gal=G1+Volume+1

and heres a link to the pic where i cropped my avatar from

http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/covers/Dreamwave/G1%20Volume%201/G1%20v1-x%20dealer%20b.jpg

Nothing will beat the originals though

Unfortunately, I'm not done I'm going to get a haynaldianum alba seedling from peach state and maybe a sanderianum seedling to. But first I have to wait for my charges to post and get screamed at by Maria and listen to her tell me "you spend so much attention and money on your plants". So tomorrow I'm going to take her to a restaurant of her choosing in manhattan to keep her off my butt about my addiction. :poke: I hope she doesn't pick a place like Le Cirque or something along those lines. If she does i'm dragging her butt downtown where the foods cheaper. :poke:

I'm surprised we have a starscream fan because in the old cartoons he was always the b****. in fact, in college we knew this guy with a last name of skaar, and once in a while we called him skaarscream, and he took a great deal of offense!

just messing with ya, transformers was the **** back in the day.

this water thing can be a problem

my rainwater tank was great in the beginning but -- my frogs took refudge in there during summer now it's full of tadpoles -:poke:
but on the other side of this pure water issue if you don't have too many phrags at the moment :D( This will change because well because it just happens :wink: more will arrive )in my early phrag growing i used to just boil up my kettle a couple of times -let it cool and use this instead of buying water . even now in summer when our water gets lots of salts put in it I still boil water for my schlimii's to me they are the one plant that really objects to minerals .
hope this helps billie

Marco said:
:poke: I hope she doesn't pick a place like Le Cirque or something along those lines. If she does i'm dragging her butt downtown where the foods cheaper. :poke:

Oooh, Le Cirque just re-opened. That would be funny if she chose it and you'd have WAY less money for those plants, Marco.

I vote for Nobu. :)

Heather said:
Oooh, Le Cirque just re-opened. That would be funny if she chose it and you'd have WAY less money for those plants, Marco.

I vote for Nobu. :)

She made reservations to theis place called "the mermaid inn". The food wasn't bad.

Jmoney said:
I'm surprised we have a starscream fan because in the old cartoons he was always the b****. in fact, in college we knew this guy with a last name of skaar, and once in a while we called him skaarscream, and he took a great deal of offense!

That's exactly why the avatar is perfect. The SO thinks I'm mad anal about things. :rollhappy:. Starscreams actually one of my favorites next to the original 3 insecticons, predaking, shockwave and the dinobots. Didn't like the Autobots to much, they looked to normal and were a bunch of wusses except for the dinobots.

The final verdict

-Landmark (glaucophyllum 'Sweet' x sanderianum)
-(philippinense x hirsutissimum)
-Rothschildianum ('Trinity' AM/RHS x 'Sabah')
-Iantha Stage (sukhakulii x rothschildianum 'Tenny's' AM/AOS)

-Temptation (philippinense 'Calico' AM/AOS x kolopakingii 'Klehm's') - If Paul has any left

and one that sneaked its way into the basket last minute
-Vera Pellechia (Saint Swithin 'Conquest' x stonei 'Cheriton')

A 3 plant limit multiplied into 6 :eek:

Man that tax season bonus is gonna go by quick! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back