I can't believe it's really happening!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...BTW, that looks like good soil and you can send it here. This area is mostly clay.
I know what you mean by clay. My Dad's farm was mostly clay soil. Very sticky when wet, and hard to drain. Our soil here is a sandy loam on top and under that is mostly sand. It drains very well, but doesn't grow things well. All our garden and perennial beds have a top layer of good soil (added by us), or we wouldn't have much vegetation.

I'd be glad to send you some...

Today started out nice -- temp in the 50's, but it gradually turned cold and nasty. But the crew worked on through it!

Here, they are removing my temporary entry-way tiles.

This is the crushed stone they are putting under all the new tiles:

So much hand digging! Here, they are preparing for the block wall:

Showing the compactor they use before setting the blocks/tiles:

Starting the block wall:

All those roots. I wonder if the tree will survive.

Wow! What a nice journal of your greenhouse dated four years ago... I enjoy reading and admiring your pictures... Ofc, we all orchids lover do have dreams greenhouse. Yes, please keep update about our landscaping. It looks WOW, it takes my speech away. It looks so organized and nice-looking gh and place, too... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! What a nice journal of your greenhouse dated four years ago... I enjoy reading and admiring your pictures... Ofc, we all orchids lover do have dreams greenhouse. Yes, please keep update about our landscaping. It looks WOW, it takes my speech away. It looks so organized and nice-looking gh and place, too... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! It is indeed a dream-come-true!
Uh Dot, when those men finish, send them down here with the soil. I want to enclose our pool for winter use. They appear to be doing an excellent job.
We have been impressed with their work ethic and attention to detail. And after they work in what is coming to Michigan soon, I'm sure they'd love to come work in a warmer place!

Day 3: The wall is growing:

We like the curved corners.

Showing the structure: the landscape fabric, the drain tube, the crushed stone and the blocks.

And the driveway is taking shape:

Dot, I haven't commented on this thread until now, but I must say that this entire structure is beautiful. Most conventional greenhouse can be unsightly from the outside and are strictly utilitarian. In yours, both the building and its contents are very nice!

Thank you, goods. The greenhouse sits at the end of the drive, very prominent from the street. It had to look good. But part of the look is due to the Florian design -- that's the glass portion.

Today was nasty, cold and wet. But two guys continued to work through it. They mostly were working on the wall between the new drive and the greenhouse:

The pavers were also delivered today. I expect they may start on that phase tomorrow:

Dot, I absolutely have to say this, so forgive me if I intrude. Tell the contractors to really reinforce the wall by the driveway. I HAD a lovely
hand cut stone wall around some perennial beds across from my gh and
every single delivery truck has hit that wall and now it's a shambles. There's plenty of room there and a circular drive, but it's been hit over
and over again. Warning doesn't help and standing out in the middle
of the driveway screaming doesn't help either. I suggest steel rebar or
a big crappy sign saying "Don't hit the wall, idiot"! BIG sign.

Install bollards anchored in concrete!
My husband actually did quite a lot of research on these, but we decided they would look ugly.

Angela, The wall is built well and reinforced. The drive is approx. 12 feet wide, and the curve is wide enough to accommodate any vehicle needing access to the back yard. Nonetheless, we will be putting markers in for the truck that plows our main drive when we need him. Luckily, there will be no deliveries to the back yard.

Today was mostly working on the drive, and some work on the wall:

After the ground was prepared by leveling and compacting, they laid down the landscape fabric:

The truck that was to deliver the crushed stone for the drive was delayed about two hour. But finally at 4:45 pm, it came. It was so big, they had to dump the load at the end of the drive and then use a front loader to scoop up the stones and take them to the driveway:

It was getting quite dark when they finished putting the stones in place:

The project is really beginning to shape up nicely. Don't forget who
warned you about that wall though. Our drive is 18' wide...doesn't seem
to make any difference to some truck drivers.

I'll remember. But no truck goes into the back yard unless one of us is there watching/guiding. Now I'll be doubly watchful. Thanks.

The new wall looks great and really accentuates the greenhouse. The GH has that certain majestic Parthenon type look to it.

Back