I can't believe it's really happening!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bjorn, if you switch on and off HPS, doesn't it influence the life of bulbs and ballasts quite a bit?

Bjorn and Rob, I quote this paper frequently, but here is actual comparison of efficiency (table 3).

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0099010

As Bjorn said, the efficiency of the top HPS is similar to the top LED. But majority of LEDs have lower efficiency than HPS. If you do DIY LED, you can squeeze out the efficiency.

I've also wondered about the heat issue. I've never used HPS, but it seems to be hot compared to the LED with the same input watt. The input energy goes either to light or heat, so if the efficiency is similar, they should release the same amount of heat. But one thing that I may be missing in this way of thinking is that photons with different wavelengths have different energy levels. The efficiency of both best HPS and LED is around 1.7 micromol/s/W (=micromol/J). However, the emission spectra is different, actual energy used to produce the same 1.7 micromol of photons is different. For example, using an extreme case, let's say LED uses all Blue. HPS emission peak is around yellow. 1 blue photon requires more energy production than yellow photon. So even if they both get the same photon efficiency, LED is converting more energy to light and less energy to heat than HPS. But in reality, those top level LEDs use lots of red, which has lower energy than yellow. So it is still puzzling why LED seems to be cooler.

To compare the heat emission of LED vs HID, we need the efficiency in terms of emitted light watt per given input watt (instead of photon efficency or lumen efficacy).

Sure naoki, it may wear the ballsts and bulbs, but after a couple of years using it as a kind of heater, I am not that worried about it anymore. Seems to take it well. Nice paper btw giving a balanced presentation. But, since its the number of photons that Count, will not red wawelengths yield more? Also instead of hijacking Dots thread, why do we not make our own LED or resurrect one of the older LED threads?

Not a problem, naoki. But I'm glad you have a new thread on this topic -- it does deserve its own thread. It will be much easier for someone to research.

I just finished reading your thread from the start. What an awesome experience you are having there and i am very impressed with the quality, the efficiency and the cleanliness of everything in there. You sure put in a lot of effort on it!!!

Towards the initial phase of the greenhouse where you just moved the plants in, i see some pretty large Paphiopedilum with wide, dark coloured, mottled leafs. What are they?

You have many impressive orchids there and i am sure they will only grow to be more impressive in your growing environment!

Do you think Phragmipedium need especially high air circulation to do well and you added a bench for some of them? Do you find they need higher light intensity for blooming or more hours of light, even if of lower intensity? Most interested on P. kovachii's whims :D :)

I am about to get me new land for a house and i will definitely be putting an atrium in the design. I will opt for in ground growing of tropical cycads/ferns/aroids/short palms/extreme tropical fruit trees and an epiphyte wall, rocks and thick dead tree trunk or a live tree for epiphyte and lithophyte growing(orchids/bromeliads/ferns/aroids), all around a comfy sitting area/dining table. Thats the plan at least...i, too, won't believe its happening when i hope it does... :)

Good luck with your plans, Kostas -- they sound fantastic. What a great growing/living space you will have!

Yes, I think Phrags need high air circulation. I think being able to see the leaves move a little in the breeze helps with erwinia, especially, My plants are probably too close together, but I can't seem to say "no" when it comes to purchasing another good plant.

As for light, when I had all my Phrags under lights in the house, before I built the greenhouse, I had very good blooming. I did not add lights when I built the greenhouse, which I now think was a mistake because Phrags, especially, haven't been blooming well, or at all, for the past couple years. That's why I've added lights. So I'll be able to tell you about blooming in about a year. I think Phrags need bright light, but not direct sun. I think my problem was too short a day with light during the winter months. That would be duration more than intensity.

Yeah, i have been dreaming about this for a while. I look forward to growing my tropical Zamia sp. to perfection. Otherwise i can grow most of what i like outdoors, and i do.

Haha, i see what you mean. I have my fair share of monster size growing seedlings here that i actually hope to ground plant one day...

I try to offer mine as much as i can indoors and i crack a couple windows open to form a light breeze. It helps dry a dehiscing leaf faster and not risk rot. I watch them carefully till i know they are adapted and like things here.
I am giving them bright light as much as i can(no sun though as the other plants nearby don't want it) and they get room lighting for more hours of the day, so photoperiod shouldn't be a problem. I am growing them in a room with northeast and northwest facing windows, so the days in the dead of the winter are somewhat darker, though we get like 300days of unblocked(no cloud cover) sun a year, so the ambient light from the window is bright in general.
Wish you to get abundant blooming next year :)

P.s.: I saw some very beautiful Paphiopedilium with big and wide dark reddish/black mottled leafs in some of your earlier greenhouse pictures. What are they? I love how big and dark foliaged they are.

I can't believe that in all these years I have actually missed this thread. :eek: Finally found it and read it all....WOW! You have such a nice greenhouse Dot. A few years late, but congratulations on having this come together so well. It's amazing! :clap::clap:

Thanks, Wendy. It truly is a dream come true.

Kostas, I have no idea which one you mean. Can you direct me to the page/photo?

Latest posts

Back