I can't believe it's really happening!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walking from the backyard to the greenhouse this fall, the light was such, and the leaves were such that it looked like the greenhouse was on fire:

I cant believe you have so much shade over the GH!

I was thinking the same! It looks like my yard, I can hardly get grass to grow under the canopy I have, let alone orchids!

That being said, what a beautiful fortress of solitude! And nothing but beautifully grown plants and flowers from what you have shared.

The angle of view deceives: There are tall trees to the East, SE and one in the West, but non of them hang over the top. They are all deciduous, which lets the sun come in (filtered through the branches) all day in the winter, and in the summer, the overhead sun has no interference (except for the low-E glass & 30% shade cloth) from about noon until about 4.

So, 4 years ago, the adventure of building my own greenhouse began. For multiple reasons, we haven't been able to finish the landscaping around the greenhouse. But this summer, we found a landscaper who we could work with to do something that would enhance and finish off the area without breaking the bank too much. We came up with a plan, and yesterday, the process began.

These views should give a better idea about where the trees are relative to the greenhouse.

What's your plan so far? I only have one long south side and I landscaped
with daylilies, peony and different annuals each year until everything fills
out. If you can find it, there's a wonderful ground cover that's in the
dogwood family available. I've forgotten the name, but White Flower
Farm has it in their catalog. It isn't an aggressive spreader.

Mine use to be even more so, before the drought hit in 12. Now I have to have heavy, ugly shadecloth all over the gh. I never had problems blooming anything.
Beautiful scene Dot.

@Angela: I decided I don't want any plants near the greenhouse -- too many hiding places for bugs that would like to get inside. So we are doing pavers and a wall, plus we are extending the driveway for access to the back yard.

Today, the process began.
Here, they are locating where the pipes (Water, gas, electricity) goes into the wall:

This photo shows where the pavers will go on the west side of the greenhouse:

Digging the driveway area on the east side of the greenhouse.

The hill in back is gone:

They took away 4 truckloads of dirt so far.

That's a neat solution...at least you won't have roots growing into your
foundation. I wish sometimes that I'd done that, but I have so little
sun back here in the woods that I just couldn't let a good perennial
area go to waste.

BTW, that looks like good soil and you can send it here. This area is mostly
clay.

Latest posts

Back