I bought new Cypripediums rhizomes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice!!! How water do you give them??? Roots seem to be very sensitive to rot from overwatering...:(

I didn't see your updates before Fren! Looking good! It takes around two months or so from the breaking of dormancy for reginae to flower, I would say. I've never actually recorded the number of days. Perhaps i will do that in the future. It takes a while for the shoots to actually come up and start leafing. Once they start leafing out it's pretty quick. It's amazing to see them go from stubby little buds to big plants in a few short weeks.

I ask just incase I miss the blooms, if it decides to bloom this year. I leave for three weeks on May 7 so its very possible, but thats ok, hopefully my outdoors one will be blooming this year when I'm back. (I miss orchid inn's visit to edmonton too :() I'm headed out to China for the first time in my life. Its gonna be a fun trip.

The kentuckiense is progressing quickly. The reginae buds are fatter...can't wait untill it pops out:D

I ask just incase I miss the blooms, if it decides to bloom this year. I leave for three weeks on May 7 so its very possible, but thats ok, hopefully my outdoors one will be blooming this year when I'm back. (I miss orchid inn's visit to edmonton too :() I'm headed out to China for the first time in my life. Its gonna be a fun trip.

The kentuckiense is progressing quickly. The reginae buds are fatter...can't wait untill it pops out:D

It sucks that you will miss the Orchid Inn visit, but I'd say it's probably worth it to go to China! Congrats!

If you miss this one bloom, I'm sure you will see the one outside. Has it bloomed before? Mine bloom at the end of June.

I think the one outdoor will bloom this year. I didn't get it to bloom last year, but I think it was due to insufficient water at some point (my bad). Either that or my move to stronger sun (it gots noon sun although literature doesn't recommend for most cyps). Or maybe the soil dried too fast because of the sun. Before I think it was too shady. But it had three stems and hopefully more this spring. The stems just didn't fully develop and I think it was lack of water. I might have to add some sort of plant to accompany it so that the sun doesn't hit the soil too much.

I think the one outdoor will bloom this year. I didn't get it to bloom last year, but I think it was due to insufficient water at some point (my bad). Either that or my move to stronger sun (it gots noon sun although literature doesn't recommend for most cyps). Or maybe the soil dried too fast because of the sun. Before I think it was too shady. But it had three stems and hopefully more this spring. The stems just didn't fully develop and I think it was lack of water. I might have to add some sort of plant to accompany it so that the sun doesn't hit the soil too much.

So you moved it? Sometimes they get stressed out from moving and don't bloom. But yes reginae likes to have constant moisture. You can mulch it with grass clippings to help conserve moisture if you like - that has helped for me. Either way, I'm sure you'll see blooms this year. :)

This is how reginae alba looks right now, April 11,2009.
DSCN0175.jpg

Those vertical growing roots were actually growths! :rollhappy: I have a feeling I have more than one plant, is that correct? I should separate then in the fall since they would be genetically different. I never saw the rhizome of this one since I didn't unpot it.

Is Cypripedium reginae f. albolabium the same thing as reginae var. alba?

kentuckiense is fully leafed out. And the Princess still shows no signs of dark speckles, but it is still early.

Back