Hymenocallis caribaea 'Tropical Giant'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
These are blooming in the afternoon rain here in South Carolina. We just transplanted them in June with some Crinum lilies, so it was a surprise to see a bloom stalk.

Hymenocallis caribaea 'Tropical Giant' or spider lily.

2qpDnU5.jpg

AchT08P.jpg

R5ZoOLW.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry everyone. I don't have a computer, just an android phone and iPad, so I am trying to figure out how to properly resize images using multiple apps/platforms/image hosts. I think I almost have it figured out now. Are these sizes better?

I don't detect a fragrance yet, but it was raining so I was trying to rush some photos. I'll check again tomorrow, but as you can see there are several more buds coming up, so I will have ample opportunity.

I wonder how they get pollinated with the pollen held so far away from the flower?

I wonder how they get pollinated with the pollen held so far away from the flower?

The filaments coming out of the edge that hold the pollen are long, but so is the one coming out of the center of the flower which has a stigma at the tip. So the pollinator bouncing around from anther to anther could land on the stigma.

Latest posts

Back