Hybridizing with Paph Armeni White

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When delenatii is crossed with armeniacum, color suppressing genes in delenatii suppress the yellow in armeniacum, making the beautiful, white flowers of Paph Armeni White.

Does anyone have any idea what might happen with an F2 generation cross of Armeni White to Armeni White? Will some of the recessive genes assert themselves resulting in yellow or pink color? I know that Armeni White was back crossed to armeniacum and the resultant hybrid was named Paph Many Are White.

Funny you should mention this. I've got an Armeni White that just opened a few days ago. It's yellow:> Not a the bright, bold yellow of armeniacum, but a buttery yellow. I've been wanting to take it to judging as I've been told by many it's awardable. But, it opened and wouldn't you know it's got a single small dimple on the pouch-which it's never done before. It must have known I was watching it. It's the only yellow Armeni white I've seen, though. And it's huge. I plan on breeding with it someday. It's got another spike in bud and hopefully that one will be perfect so I can bring it to judging.

interesting question.

they are white because the yellow genes supresses the pink genes. hmm colour is complicated...perhaps there will be a few non-white ones. I would think they would still be mostly white

Funny you should mention this. I've got an Armeni White that just opened a few days ago. It's yellow:> Not a the bright, bold yellow of armeniacum, but a buttery yellow. I've been wanting to take it to judging as I've been told by many it's awardable. But, it opened and wouldn't you know it's got a single small dimple on the pouch-which it's never done before. It must have known I was watching it. It's the only yellow Armeni white I've seen, though. And it's huge. I plan on breeding with it someday. It's got another spike in bud and hopefully that one will be perfect so I can bring it to judging.

Maybe you should investigate about the particular parent clones using in that cross (it maybe this exact rare dellenatii is capable of produce yellow hybrids)

Actually, most Armeni-White open a pale shade of Ivory - not a pure white. They fade to white after fully opening. Cultural conditions can cause the length of time that it is pale ivory yellow to last a little longer or shorter, but eventually the yellow fades. I have seen Armeni-White x armeniacum, and it is more of a buttery yellow, but it too fades to near white after a while, several days.

Maybe you should investigate about the particular parent clones using in that cross (it maybe this exact rare dellenatii is capable of produce yellow hybrids)

I don't know the parents. Maybe the grower who I begged a division from would know. He sold me a division that I had to wait a year for. This one doesn't fade much and stays a nice, light, buttery yellow. If anyone is interested in buying a division, I think he's still got the plant and will sell a piece. But, I think he's going to ask quite a lot of money per growth. My plant is at least 10 growths, but I'm not interested in dividing it. I'll try to take a photo today. I'm thinking it's still flattening out a bit and I wasn't thrilled with its one flaw so was going to post a photo when the other spike opened.

O.K. here are some pics of my Paph. Armeni White 'GC'. The bloom opened 4 days ago.
I'm not happy with the photos as the yellow didn't photograph correctly. The flower really is a little darker yellow in person. But, even in the last, full light photo you should be able to see that it's a buttery yellow in color.

Quick Measurements:
Natural spread 13cm, Natural length 11.5 cm
Petal width 5 1/2 cm, DS length 5 cm, DS width 3.5 cm
pouch width 4.5 cm, pouch length 4 cm
staminode width 3 cm.

Armeniwhite.jpg

Armeniwhite3.jpg

Candace, I bet it will turn to white as the flower ages.

Just kidding.

That's a fantastic bloom, and the 3cm staminode blows my mind.

I'm reviving this old thread since I just pollinated my Armeni White with two of mini multi-floral. Stay tune! Hopefully I'll get some seeds.

Troy has Armeni White x rothschildianum, it looks like Armeni White with Roth shape. Then, I wonder how other seedlings of that cross turned out. I just have no clue since I haven't seen other examples but wouldn't be surprised if some turned out with some pink or yellow or even with stripes.

I have seen some examples of Roth x Magic Lantern and the result was all over the place.

Ok, I have Armeni white x brachy, which looks like Armeni White with white staminode.
I have Armeni White x leucochilum seeding. I think it'll basically be the same. I've seen a few pictures.

There are also pictures of Armeni White x emersonii and look just like Joyce Hasegawa, so in this case, delenatii genes took over.

I'd like to see the outcome!! What did you cross it with? Haynaldianum? Mine is on spike #2 soon to be a #3 I think it hybridizes very well!!

No, I used wilhelminae and the other mini multi with larger flowers with longer twisty petals.

I'm super excited thinking about the possibilities!

No, I used wilhelminae and the other mini multi with larger flowers with longer twisty petals.

I'm super excited thinking about the possibilities!

Latest posts

Back