Hybridizing besseae and besseae hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slippertalker

Reaction score
I need a bit of advice from those that have successfully bred these Phrag hybrids. What is the success rate for 1) the cross to take and 2) produce viable seed?

I have attempted several crosses with no success and am wondering if I just need to be more patient and keep trying or if this just an exercise in frustration.

Your advice is appreciated in advance...

I have better luck making primary hybrids, or using primary hybrids and backcrossing them to other species or to other primary hybrids (I would say 50 to 60% will set pods), and I usually get a lot of germination. If I breed complex Phrag crosses (2nd or 3rd generation plants with besseae in their background) and backcross those to other complex Phrag crosses (or even primary Phrag crosses), I get seedpods to take between 5 and 30 %.

The same is true with seed viability. I get more germination when I make primary crosses versus when I make more complex crosses.

I would say it is all about numbers, just make lots of crosses, and you will get a certain percentage that will take. Also I make the crosses when the flowers and pollen are still very fresh (after the first or second day after they are open). If you wait too long, the chance of a setting a seedpod reduces.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the years, I'd say if you get saleable flasks back 10 % of the time, you are doing okay. Once you know which clones you have are proven breeders, you can raise the percentage, but until you work out which clones set seed and which clones are better as pollen parents, it can be hit or miss. Now Robert at OL and Chuck Acker have much better track records, because they have taken the time to get to know their clones. But even the pros don't get much better than 50% to 75% - too many things can go wrong.

Lets take the leaves and make some questions:
first and the culture, someone has some specific formula;
the second one a picture of a capsule, a capsule feasible to see the format it:
and third and once planted, what procedure, what level of incidence of light?

Thanks for the recommendations.......I have had pretty good luck with other genera including paphs, but phrags are frustrating me so far. Will keep trying!

paphs are more forgiving when you pollinate them,phrags seam to have to be done in a couple of days. Having plants that are good studs really helps

I have excellent quality plants but figuring out which ones will breed well will take some time. My attempts have been made using the plants as male and female parents. I will keep trying!

Back