Hybridising: Dend. kingianum x pedunculatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marc

I currently have multiple plants of Dend. kingianum blooming or in bud. I also have a Dend. speciosum var. pedunculatum in bud as we speak.

Now I'm wondering about two things.

First of all naming, the hybrid of kingianum x speciosum = Delicatum. Since then var. pedunculatum has been elivated to species status. Or at least as far as I know, so would this hybrid be actually a new primary or would it still be called Delicatum.

Second of all plant size.

The kingianums I have tend to grow very small, and pedunculatum is a small grower as well. Could I expect the result of this to be small as well and size wise fall somewere between these two.

Or can this hybrid mix the involved genetics in such a way that you would end up with a plant that is actually bigger when it's adult then both of its parents?

edit:

This is the Dend. speciosum var. pedunculatum I own.

IMAG0114.jpg

Here is a picture of the kingianum I made today.

IMG_3456.jpg

This plant is going to receive the speciosum pollen and probably some other pollen as well. :)

I think these are still all considered Delicatum. Although it keeps changing and there are different views, I'm not convinced that penuculatum is considered as a distinct species. In naycase, I'm sure that ANOS (Australian Native Orchid Society) would still register tham as Delicatum. I guess it is a bit like all these different forms of phillipinense and the hybrid St Swithin.

I would expect that it would be a more compact Delicatum.

My brother came over today and he had two gifts for me.

The first one was the flower of a Dend. tetragonum

IMG_1414.jpg

Pollen of this flower has been used to polinate two flowers of my biggest kingianum to recreate the primary hybrid. Dend. Ellen.

The second gift he brought with him was a division of a small for of Dend. kingianum, the pseudobulbs of this plant only are +/-3 cm's long. It can be seen in the back in the picture of the flower.

tetragonum x kingianum should really be interesting! I might have to move to the Netherlands!

Just keep following this thread. Before you start moving we must first have a succesfull polination.

Then the seed has to be harvest at the right time, I plan on getting green pods. I read somewere that straight kingianum pods mature in aprox. 3 months. But I've polinated two flowers so I can always take one of and let the other one mature for a bit more.

After harvesting I need to find someone to do the sowing for me. I've got three adresses that I can ask so that should be no problem.

And then there is succesfull germination / replating etc. et. :D

Hi,

I can do the sowing but how you are going to get the plants back from me in South Africa is another story!

Contact Matthias at http://www.laminarflow.at/. He should be able to help you.

If you have the time to self that mini kingianum please save some seed for me. I like these minatures. I have a compot of Hilda Poxon made from pedunculatum and tetragonum. They are a long way from flowering but I am patient.

Hi,

I can do the sowing but how you are going to get the plants back from me in South Africa is another story!

Contact Matthias at http://www.laminarflow.at/. He should be able to help you.

If you have the time to self that mini kingianum please save some seed for me. I like these minatures. I have a compot of Hilda Poxon made from pedunculatum and tetragonum. They are a long way from flowering but I am patient.

As getting the plants back will be a major hurdle I don't think it's an option. But still thanks for the offer! :D As I said I got three adresses were I can ask to get the seeds flasked so no worries there.

I'll see what I can do with the small kingianum, I'll probably not put any pollen on it this year. I first want to get it established in the new pot.

Someone pointed out to me that I made a mistake in my first post.

Dendrobium Delicatum should only be used for the natural hybrid, and thus written as Dend. X Delicatum.

The artificial hybrid between kingianum and speciosum should be called: Dend. Specio-kingianum, this artificial hybrid was registered in 1892 by mr. Lawrence.

Marc, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but felt I had to say that I did this exact same cross years ago ( pedunc x small king ) and found it was the biggest waste of time! The seedlings took ''forever '' to flower and when they did they were sparse, small and a muddy washed-out colour. Just awful! So I thought you should know this before investing time in this cross. peduc x tetra would be much more interesting result but reluctant to flower.

Cheers
Mike

Marc, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but felt I had to say that I did this exact same cross years ago ( pedunc x small king ) and found it was the biggest waste of time! The seedlings took ''forever '' to flower and when they did they were sparse, small and a muddy washed-out colour. Just awful! So I thought you should know this before investing time in this cross. peduc x tetra would be much more interesting result but reluctant to flower.

Cheers
Mike

I'm not planning on putting pollen on my small kingianum for now. I've got a couple of them and I'll use a normal sized kingianum to receive the speciosum pollen.

Here are a few shots of the plants, first is the devision of the small form of kingianum I received. I've added a tape meassure so it's small size is even clearer.

IMG_1455.jpg

The picture below is the kingianum that is going to used to receive the speciosum pollen. There is allready tetragonum pollen on a few flowers and things are looking good so far.

IMG_1456.jpg

edit:

Small adition, my speciosum is slowly opening up now. The first two flowers are allready opening up and it's allready spreading a "heavy" sweet smell which is quite similar to the fragrance produced by Dend. kingianum.

It looks like the polination attempt with the tetragonum pollen succeeded as the seed pods are slowly gaining in size.

Today I also did the polination of the cross that this topic is actually about. I've polinated three flowers of my biggest kingianum with the pollen of my speciosum var. pedunculatum. A flower of which can be seen below and the rest of the pictures are to be found in the link below as well.

IMG_3466.jpg

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=333971#post333971

The thoughts of making the tetragonam x kingianum cross, that = D. Ellen.
Close to the first Aussie native hybrid made. Its been done 100's of times and makes a nice, quick growing pot plant. Shpe of the flower is nearly all tetragonam with the plant usually 1/2 tetra & 1/2 kingie, upright squarish canes, 2 - 4 leaves & can flower multiple times a year.

The thoughts of making the tetragonam x kingianum cross, that = D. Ellen.
Close to the first Aussie native hybrid made. Its been done 100's of times and makes a nice, quick growing pot plant. Shpe of the flower is nearly all tetragonam with the plant usually 1/2 tetra & 1/2 kingie, upright squarish canes, 2 - 4 leaves & can flower multiple times a year.

I hope that I'll end up with plants as you describe but there are still a few hurdles to take before we reach that stage.

The flowers that I polinated with tetragonum pollen are still on the plant and wilting. Ovary looks a bit swolen so all is good, allthough there is some colour change in the short stem that leads from the main stem to the ovary.

First signs of succesfull polination of the speciosum cross can also be seen. I tore of the lip of the flower before polinating to make the collumn easier to reach. The flower itself has closed again, preventing acces to the stigma.

Latest posts

Back