Hybridising: Dend. kingianum x pedunculatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I was checking up on my plants and noticed that the kingianum dropped one of the two flowers that were polinated with tetragonum pollen. :(

I hope the other one will remain on the plant. Considering to remove the newer flowers that have opened on the same stem after I did the polinating attempt.

This morning the 2nd flower with tetra pollen fell from the plant. I called my father and he still had fresh tetragon flowers on one of his plants so this morning I allready removed all the pollen from 5 flowers on the same stem.

When I returned home this afternoon I used the pollen of two tetragonum flowers to polinate 4 kingianum flowers. And I removed the 5th flower from the stem. I hope I have a better result this run.

Fingers crossed.

The ovary's of the flowers that I put the speciosum pollen on are nicely swelling so these are looking good so far.

The flowers on which I put the tetragonum pollen show also signs of pollination as they have folded the sepals over the collumn and there is some swelling of the ovary but not as strong as the other ones. Of course the polination was done 8 days later.

Just a brief update

Developing capsules of the kingianum x speciosum cross:

IMG_1508.jpg

As far as I'm concerned they look nice and healthy they have grown quite a bit, allthough I'm wondering if they will increase even more.

( The paph in the back is one of my insignes. )

Developing capsules of the kingianum x tetragonum cross:

IMG_1509.jpg

Colour looks a little bit pale and size is about 30% of the speciosum cross. Colour is also a bit different, I'm wondering can different pollen parents result in different capsule size?

The tetragonum cross was done one week later but I can't imagine that the size difference is only caused by them being a week younger.

Thanks guys, the only thing I can do now is take care of the plant and let nature do it's thing. I'll update if anything happens, otherwise I except to bring the pods away for sowing by the end of march.

A note of interest, make sure you don't use too much pollen when crossing the small flower natives or it will choke & the pollen won't reach the ovary.

Interesting comment but I think I've had succes. Especially with the speciosum pollen which were the biggest of the two and they seem to have done their work. The tetragonum pollen was smoller but I'm still wondering why the ovaries haven't swollen as much.

Seems that the plant is aborting the tetragonum cross again. First flower fell off the plant yesterday. :(

I wonder what the secret is. Maybe you should place both plants into a plastic bag and fill it with fungus gnats -- maybe they know the secret...

Unfortunately I had no succes with the crosses that I tried last update. The photo above shows the remains of my attempt to cross my purple lipped white kingianum with both x gracillium and falcorostrum.

Both these attempts were aborted two weeks ago. :mad:

Just a small update, the kingianum x speciosum cross has been brought to the flasker a few months ago. Current status is unkown, I'll try to find out if they germinated in the coming weeks.

I just received word that the plants have germinated and are growing like crazy. They might even leave their bottles soon. :)

Latest posts

Back