Hybrid register

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmella.carey

Reaction score
Where should I go to find out what crosses have already been made? I tried the RHS register but they have no record of some crosses I know that have been done. As an example C.Duvalliana (lueddemnniana x purpurata) no record.
-Patrick

Just because a hybrid is made does not mean that it automatically registered. The person/company has the right to name the hybrid when they make the hybrid. But nothing says that they are required to.
Fred Clarke @ SVO often allows the first person who flowers a new cross, the right to name it.
Registration is a fairly inexpensive process that can now be done on-line.
In the case you sighted, people maybe just thought better and they were disappointed in the way the pods germinated, the way the seedlings grew or maybe the first bunch to flower were ugly. Maybe they then figured, why name it if it might be a commercial flop.
Who knows.

These programs can be so sensitive to spelling. I catch myself often! I say “why isn’t this coming up!?” And then after two or three sighs, a couple of son of a b., I notice my error!!

So in other words, I should just start making crosses with my good stud plants and when they flower if there anything worth registering, register it. And if its a remake then its either a nice remake or there all dog ugly. Right?
-Patrick

However, I met a man at an orchid show, he was buying Cattleya flasks at 92 years of age! 92!!
Rodney Wilcox Jones was his name and he was very well off financially. Anyway, he was just so full of life, so positive, so excited with new crosses, it was amazing. He probably saw all that he purchased that day flower!! He lived until 107 I think, maybe 109?
So you are never too old maybe?

However, I met a man at an orchid show, he was buying Cattleya flasks at 92 years of age! 92!!
Rodney Wilcox Jones was his name and he was very well off financially. Anyway, he was just so full of life, so positive, so excited with new crosses, it was amazing. He probably saw all that he purchased that day flower!! He lived until 107 I think, maybe 109?
So you are never too old maybe?
I always like to think just do what you would do anyway and someone will continue on and hopefully appreciate it as much as you do.
-Patrick

Patrick, Orchid Roots is forgiving of spelling because the search function will bring up a bunch of things close to what you are looking at. I think you should know whether a hybrid has been made and registered so that you can look to see what the results have been. When I find that a hybrid has been registered but you can’t find any awards or even any online photos it makes me suspicious that it was a bust as a hybrid. In Orchids Roots you can also look at all the progeny of any hybrid or species so you can see all the things that a plant was crossed with.

Well in reality, C. Duvaliana was made in 1898 I believe. I think Mr. Moran is listed as the originator. There are no awards to it in the AOS software. In looking at possible offspring or hybrids, two crosses are in the record, each from the late 1920’s. There were no records of any award granted to either one of them.
I have no idea of what exactly that information actually tells us except to say that both the original Duvaliana and its two offspring were not huge moneymakers nor did they become very important in terms of developing new breeding lines.

Last edited:
In keeping with these two comments, my mother, an excellent gardener, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at 70 and took up Bonsai.
That's a great story! Since we have an orchard I have dabbled in bonsai a bit. and there's a lot of waiting in between things to do!
-Patrick

Latest posts

Back