huonglanae San Francisco

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roth

Reaction score
Well, just a short break in the naming ( maybe not, let's see the breeding schedule later :D:D:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:), San Francisco

huonglanae5sanfranciscotg7.jpg

I have 67 selected ones, including 1 division of the original from Emerson Doc Charles ;), 2 selected "singchii" ( that's a pygmy emersonii sold under that name some years ago, leafspan 10-12 cm, miniature blooms with perfect shape), 1 alba, and 1 all pink one. They are quite reliable bloomers. There will be maybe another 10-15 pictures for this year.

Oh you've got to post a photo of the alba!

In a few weeks it will bloom again, it is a white-white flower with a yellow pouch.

The all yellow flowered picture is obviously a fake. I happened to have got a "division" of that all yellow clone, that turned out to be a normal emersonii with poor shape. Clearly it was a scam I learned that some more plants have been sold with the same picture as divisions, and no one has seen that yellow clone in real in bloom, and that makes too many divisions at once for the same plant.

Look at that scam. The picture available for the sale was that one :

emyel.jpg

And the seller was absolutely and clearly sure that the flower was deep yellow, sold it to a friend at premium price, and I bought it back immediately when it arrived.

Then, after it turned out to be untrue, the picture has been photoshopped again, and here is the result:

emersonii-album1.jpg

To my mind, that plant does not exist, and even the first pic has been photoshopped heavily... When we look at the white version it is obvious the staminodium and pouch are more blurry compared to the remaining of the pic...

The plant has been exchanged when it bloomed years later after I got it. It is the very same in Asia as well, they supply fake albinos, sometimes with photoshopped pics, hoping that either the plant will die before blooming, or to "borrow" money until the plant bloom...

All the emersonii/huonglanae album I have seen had white flowers, or white with a yellow pouch, except one in Kunming ( the owner wanted 25000USD for that one), which is white with a nice green pouch, but shape below average. There are maybe 15-20 different emersonii/huonglanae album around.

I tend to think there are quite a few more, however, many emersonii/huonglanae have no red color at the base, and second, many die in the collector's places, albinos are usually (but not always) more fragile, so they would be the first to collapse/die...

I've been enjoying all of these, for every reason I should. I want to see one with a thin line of dark cilia over the staminode so you can have a 'John Waters' to work with as well.

(Pecker cheers me up on bad days.)

The all yellow flowered picture is obviously a fake. I happened to have got a "division" of that all yellow clone, that turned out to be a normal emersonii with poor shape. Clearly it was a scam I learned that some more plants have been sold with the same picture as divisions, and no one has seen that yellow clone in real in bloom, and that makes too many divisions at once for the same plant.

Look at that scam. The picture available for the sale was that one :

And the seller was absolutely and clearly sure that the flower was deep yellow, sold it to a friend at premium price, and I bought it back immediately when it arrived.

Then, after it turned out to be untrue, the picture has been photoshopped again, and here is the result:
I did look at these two photos very closely. It is quite obvious that the two photos are of the same flower. But I think they are two different photos, the camera position for the yellow flower is slightly -- a few millimeters -- to the left of the camera position for the white flower. That gives a space between the pouch and the left petal, and slightly narrower space on the right of the back sepal (I forgot it's name...). And the position of the dorsal sepal is slightly different. Photoshop can't really change the camera angle, but the color -- that is a different story!

Sanderianum,
How are you growing your plants, as in type of mix? light? winter low temps? BTW did you get my PM?

Rick H

Sanderianum,
How are you growing your plants, as in type of mix? light? winter low temps? BTW did you get my PM?

Rick H

For the light, very dim light, less than phalaenopsis. More light and the plants start to have a bit yellow leaves, and grow very, very slowly then. Summer temps up to 35-38°C, winter goes as low as 5°C, but with a lot of humidity ( saturation). Mix is very old bark ( naturally washed for many years), charcoal, stones ( from a road they build near the populations of hangianum, geologically the same as the hangianum habitat, pH of rock dust 7.3), some sphagnum. Size of each ingredients 1cm-1.5cm about, 10 bark 3 charcoal 3 stones 1 sphagnum, in plastic pots ( something that is HIGHLY difficult to find in Viet Nam right now...). They get plenty of water all the time, some osmocote ( about 3g/12cm pot), and fertilizer (deionized water + 28-14-14 PlantProd).

Not got any PM so far...

Latest posts

Back