Hung Sheng plants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chiming in: last year, I Hung Sheng was giving an extreme deal on P. wardii seedlings, it was like 3 for $12 or something. I ordered that and also a Dendrochilum wenzelii that I’ve been wanting to try. Ordered 2 compots of 3 plants wardii and the D. wenzelii. For another $10, LTP threw in a compot of P. gratrixianum for $10. Then he communicated to say hey, you like Dendrochilum? How about these for $8 each? So I ended up with 5 different large specimens of different Dendrochilum. Order totaled $60, a big order for me, my only one last year.

In general, so far I’ve been satisfied. Everything is still alive, though the P. wardii varied a lot in quality as each pot contained one nice seedling and two very tiny, obviously less robust seedlings stuck in. The best seedling had staples through the leaves from the packing process, which means it’s a good thing I opened carefully. Two of the 6 total wardii seedlings are still iffy, one seemed extremely injured and one basically rootless and only about one inch across. Seem still alive though, in sphagnum and getting all First Rays magical potions. The gratrixianum are small but sturdy. All the Dendrochilum, which I have no experience with, are all still looking good. I repotted everything in various media. I use RO water. Did treat everything with peroxide and fungicide and Innocur and KelpMax before potting.

also got a teeny tiny hangianum from there I guess two years ago now. It seemed to struggle at first but then took hold and is now growing all right, I think.

The prices he gave me were insanely low so I feel like if I get at least one good wardii/gratrixianum out of it, I can’t complain. The Dendrochilum are all big clumps that either were blooming then or are setting buds now (wenzelii). I will do business with him again someday!

I use RO water. Did treat everything with peroxide and fungicide and Innocur and KelpMax before potting.

I didn't treat with a fungicide but I do use RO water and Ray's products. For whatever reason they just didn't acclimate well, the anitum for example was right next to another imported from Germany that is thriving. Lesson learned, next time I'll get flasks and establish them in my conditions.

Well this is slightly discouraging lol! I just received 2 Anitum seedlings from Hung Sheng through Ten Shin at the NJOS show and they’re looking really nice...

Hopefully they’re able to acclimate and establish.

I think some plants, especially weak and young plants suffer from having to go bareroot and dry for a while. They may take some time to recover from this shock, or never recover.
I have been lucky to not have had any plants dying on me, although I have this one complex hybrid bought in bloom in Jan 2017 which is still recovering! I'm only keeping it because I really liked the flower.
Most other complex and novelty hybrids from Taiwan bought in bloom and bareroot, they are doing fine for me, growing, blooming and some are clumping up.

I agree that it's best to go for flasks and larger plants. Even that, it's likely to be hit or miss on certain occasions, but much better chance of success than smaller seedlings.

I bought about five flasks from HS in the last two years. I'm happy with them all except one. That happens to be one of the two most expensive flasks of the bunch, too. The issue with that flask was that the seedlings were somehow leggy.
They had a lot of roots but with their length, it was difficult to pot them up. I have been growing them bagged up to encourage root growth from higher up on the lower exposed part of the plant so I could bury them deeper later on.
After about ten months passed now, the upper growth look much stronger and I think they are about ready for transplant. :)
My two recent flasks have tiny seedlings for some reason, but much higher number of them! so it's good and bad! haha I normally had about 35 seedlings per flask with a few extra small ones that I usually discard, but this one particular flask looks (haven't opened yet, I'm being lazy and I really hate breaking open the glass flask) to have well over 40-50. or more, even!

Last edited:
Do you mean Matt/Ten Shin Orchids?
Chiming in: last year, I Hung Sheng was giving an extreme deal on P. wardii seedlings, it was like 3 for $12 or something. I ordered that and also a Dendrochilum wenzelii that I’ve been wanting to try. Ordered 2 compots of 3 plants wardii and the D. wenzelii. For another $10, LTP threw in a compot of P. gratrixianum for $10. Then he communicated to say hey, you like Dendrochilum? How about these for $8 each? So I ended up with 5 different large specimens of different Dendrochilum. Order totaled $60, a big order for me, my only one last year.

The prices he gave me were insanely low so I feel like if I get at least one good wardii/gratrixianum out of it, I can’t complain. The Dendrochilum are all big clumps that either were blooming then or are setting buds now (wenzelii). I will do business with him again someday!

Latest posts

Back