Humpback Whales

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
The family was up at Port Macquarie the week before last to escape the Canberra cold. I was amazed how many whales I could see marching up the coast on their migration from Antartica. It was the first time I had ever seen a whale in the flesh. On one day I saw six different pods and I wasn't even trying. The Humpback Whale numbers are actually growing rapidly. At the end of the 1960's their numbers were down to 200-300 individuals along the coast of Australia. Since the whaling ban, their numbers have increased to currently around 33,000 (close to pre-whaling days). Their population is doubling every seven years - an incredible rate of increase and there is no sign this is declining.

My daughter and I took a tour out to see them where I snapped these photos.

Humpback%20Whale.jpg

HW.jpg

6994.jpg

7067.jpg

Whales are wonderful mammals, they make the same sound as our planetary electromagnetic sound waves in the outer atmosphere, the aussie statement I made was just fecetious...lol..

Awesome, I love humpbacks. When I was on an Alaska cruise years ago was the only time I have seen them in the wild. Thank you for these wonderful photos!
Suzy

Wonderful photos and fandamntastic news that the humpbacks are increasing.
I've only seen whales from a distance and it thrilled me. To get up so close
must have been overwhelming!

Great photos David.

Any tech details?

I shot with a 200 mm lens. I probably could have done with a bit more reach - maybe 300 mm would have been good. I just set the camera on auto ISO at 1/2000 of a second to freeze the movement. There was a professional photographer and they were using 1/2000 of a second as well. F 6.3. ISO 140. When the whale jumped I just pressed the shutter in continuous mode.

Back