Humidifier issues

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamprad

Memphis Orchid Society
Reaction score
Adjust one part of your culture and everything else is affected, right? Well, when I installed a ceiling fan over my fluorescent light cart, suddenly my humidity, which was typically in the high 40's and low 50's, is now staying in the mid 30's. I need a humidifier.

I've browsed the excellent threads on this subject, but one thing continues to bother me -- the relative ease of filling the thing with water. Descriptions and reviews of several models describe having to remove reservoirs and taking them to the sink to fill, then carefully fitting them back into the humdifier, which seems problematic. I envision something I can easily open up and occasionally fill up with a bucket of water. Does anyone have an indoor humidifier like that? I just want to make sure I don't buy something that's going to be a pain to operate!

I need a humidifier....... I envision something I can easily open up and occasionally fill up with a bucket of water. Does anyone have an indoor humidifier like that? I just want to make sure I don't buy something that's going to be a pain to operate!
:confused: Good question, I'll be interested in the responses, I don't think such a creature exists! :poke:

Hm.....I think a lot of humidifiers require to be cleaned on a daily basis. i just got one from bonaire at bed bath and beyond and I have to do daily maintenance. I think the frequent cleaning is to prevent bacteria buildup. the one I got has the tray that is dishwasher safe. So, it makes it okay.....but still somewhat of a pain. I don't know if you will able to find one that doesn't require a lot of cleaning.

There was a model for like $400 dollars that was bigger......maybe that one would be easier to clean. Hope you find something good!

Bluefirepegasus

We bought some indoor consul type humidifiers that we use in our lab test chambers at work. They are fillable from the top like you are talking about.

We found them in the W W Grainger catalog for somewhere between 100-$200. But I've seen some similar models at Home Depot made by Honeywell.

They are very effective in the application we use them for. Which is in a closed room of about 8X10, with 8 foot ceiling. Heat and air running at the same time.

I think Heather bought one of these a ways back.

They do require cleaning but not on a daily basis, in fact you can usually run a little bleach through it and go for long periods without significant maintenance.

Latest posts

Back