HP Norton's beautiful phrag kovachii x

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
Here is the second bloom on HP Norton's beautiful kovachii X. HP was at the Western North Carolina Orchid Show, and I asked him if I could take a picture of his beautiful phrag. It is stunning and the picture color is pretty true on my moniter. He had it sitting behind him on a counter where the vendors were set up and it shouted out "Look at me" !! Enjoy !

josh_orchids-15.jpg

NYEric said:
Yay besseae [Pk] hybrids! I wish I lived where it was warmer only so my plants would grow faster. Thanx for the photo.

Gilda, it is much more beautiful than the first one of the same cross, the petals take more from the kovachii, the pouch is still strange thought.
I guess the first one seems to take too much influence from the dalessandroii.

Eric, I am sure your plants are in good shape.
my pk x dalessandroii are still in the flask (it is one whole year passed already. (this is the second fastest growing flask I have from Peruflora, the fastest flask would be pk x walisii, even with that one, my plants is 1/4 the size of the same one that Chuck Acker raises, keep in mind that when I say fastest, it only means in comparison to the rest of the flasks, not vigourously by any chance. I am not even sure that any of them would survive).
All the other flasks suffered badly last summer, and only start to regrow in-flask to the same tiny size after one year.

Hien said:
my pk x dalessandroii are still in the flask (it is one whole year passed already. (this is the second fastest growing flask I have from Peruflora, the fastest flask would be pk x walisii, even with that one, my plants is 1/4 the size of the same one that Chuck Acker raises, keep in mind that when I say fastest, it only means in comparison to the rest of the flasks, not vigourously by any chance. I am not even sure that any of them would survive).
All the other flasks suffered badly last summer, and only start to regrow in-flask to the same tiny size after one year.

Hien, It sounds like your flasks do not have the correct media to promote growth. I think you might be better off to plant them out.

gonewild said:
Hien, It sounds like your flasks do not have the correct media to promote growth. I think you might be better off to plant them out.
I believe you are 100% correct, I suspect for quite awhile that the flask media formula is not correct (it may have the chemical to induce proliferation, but not leafing out nicely, or grow roots) I think that the formula did not help too much with high temperature either.
Wish I know how to post the picture to show it.
1) the plantlets produce broccoli like leads, but stop at that stage and turn brown, then try to sprout other broccoli leads again.
2) I seen a tiny (3 millimiter plant that stick to the flask wall) althought it does not grow much, this one never get burn , or brown , or died like the ones that contact the medium.
3) I don't see any root growth either, this is a catch 22, because without roots, the plants can not be deflasked.

Last edited:
Hien said:
I believe you are 100% correct, I suspect for quite awhile that the flask media formula is not correct (it may have the chemical to induce proliferation, but not leafing out nicely, or grow roots) I think that the formula did not help too much with high temperature either.
Wish I know how to post the picture to show it.
1) the plantlets produce broccoli like leads, but stop at that stage and turn brown, than try to sprout other broccoli leads again.
2) I seen a tiny (3 millimiter plant that stick to the flask wall) althought it does not grow much, this one never get burn , or brown , or died like the ones that contact the medium.
3) I don't see any root growth either, this is a catch 22, because without roots, the plants can not be deflasked.

Yes, catch 22, but if they are not growing roots in the flask by now they probably will not.
Can you find someone to re flask them for you?
If not maybe, you would have a better chance if you try to grow them on a fine moist sphag media out of flask. If they have any roots at all they would have a better chance than in the bad agar. I would remove them from their toxic chamber. But this is just my opinion.

The roundness of the petals is amazing. I was hoping the color would be deeper though. It certainly is an exciting plant though!

e-spice

Hien said:
Eric, I am sure your plants are in good shape.
my pk x dalessandroii are still in the flask (it is one whole year passed already.
Hien, yes they're in good shape. It's just that when I went to H.P. Norton's house, at least 35% or more of his bs [that's blooming sized:evil: ] stock seemed to be in bloom. I'm sure it was because it's so much warmer year-round in SC than in NY.

NYEric said:
Hien, yes they're in good shape. It's just that when I went to H.P. Norton's house, at least 35% or more of his bs [that's blooming sized:evil: ] stock seemed to be in bloom. I'm sure it was because it's so much warmer year-round in SC than in NY.

Or he fertilizes heavier? :poke:

The pouch didn't look odd in person ...the photo angle etc makes it look worse than it is...I think it's unique looking. The color is vibrant and not anything I have seen before....not pink but a coral color.
I spoke with HP about the culture for this X and it was a drying period ..more light and much heavier feeding.

Latest posts

Back