How's the weather?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deforestation has the biggest effect on the balance of that system
Yes I agree, Teresa.
But please make a proposal to the Brazilians how they can better expand their economic system than by deforestation and the expansion of agriculture.

I like the German initiative. Given all the twisted rhetoric from the new Brazilian pres, I bet it hurt his pocket

Germany is known worldwide for giving good advice to other countries.
The German government wanted to send 26 million dollars to Brazil to reduce the deforestation of the Brazilian forest.
But the Brazilian president has refused and has recommended Angela Merkel (German Chancellor) reforest Germany instead of Brazil. :)

Brazil accelerated deforestation rate under current president. The way I heard it Germany didn't give the money due to blatant non-compliance likely misuse of funds and witheld this year's incentive. The fund was witheld not refused.

Brazil accelerated deforestation rate under current president. The way I heard it Germany didn't give the money due to blatant non-compliance likely misuse of funds and witheld this year's incentive. The fund was witheld not refused.
Yes, Teresa, but main reason to keep back the money is that Brazilian president doesn't want to stop deforestation due to increase Brazilian economy.
German government wants to save nature in foreign countries. In Germany it is very difficult due to industrialization of Germany

Last edited:
We got back from our family vacation on Saturday evening. We were sitting, enjoying a glass of wine while watching TV and a HUGE thunderstorm rolled through (we got over 5" of rain in 48 hours, all told).

FLASH/BOOM - then we had a large spark jump across our fireplace, 6 feet from us. WOW!

while the rest of the country is getting slammed...the PNW is going to have some of the best Thanksgiving weather in its history

It’s been raining steadily here in deming nm since about noon yesterday. My mother’s friend says it’s the longest sustained rain since he’s been here. The day I arrived, it was very windy in Texas and New Mexico and the dust was blowing everywhere.

We have been getting very mild weather and received lots of rain instead of snow. But west and north in pa they received more snow. A few days ago it was 56 first thing in the morning while in New Mexico it was 26 near the us/Mexico border and 6 up north in Albuquerque

I don't know what to think of weather anymore. This is the first truly snow-less winter in southern Japan since 2002, when I first arrived here. Even the local mountains, which are up to 3500 feet high, have had basically no snow all winter long. In a typical year you'll see snow on the higher ridge lines for up to a week's time, and in some years 2 or 3 weeks. This year, none. At my home, a mere 195 feet above sea level, snow falls several times in a normal year, and accumulations can range from a dusting to nearly a foot deep (rarely). It doesn't persist more than a day or two on average at this elevation, but it does happen regularly. I haven't seen ONE flake fall from the sky so far, and after February, winter is all but over in these parts.

In terms of frost, locally it got down to 30 F one morning in late December, and since then there have been a sprinkling of mornings near or around the freezing mark. Typically there are around 14 days or so of below freezing mornings around my place, and this year maybe we've only had that one day in December, plus a couple that have been close. As for average temperature, January is the coldest month here. The most recent 30 year average (1981-2010) for the month is around 43.7 F (that includes highs and lows), but this year came in the warmest, at 49.1 F (it has been tracked the past 120 years). February, historically a bit warmer than January, has to date been colder than January so far, but according to the forecast we will have temperatures up into mid 60's by mid week! Hmm...

Upshot, it hasn't been "warm" this winter, but sure ain't cold neither, not by a country mile.

Hot and super humid here. Been watching a few of Tom's videos on youtube and was inspired to pop by and say hello.

Unfortunately, life happened (married traveling etc..)and my neo collection shrunk a bit.

I hope everyone is healthy and doing well right now.

Yesterday I called the Indian chief in British Columbia on his satellite phone and asked how cold the coming winter will be. I can advise any forum user to start collecting firewood very soon.
Next week I will call him again and ask when the earth has warmed by 2°.

People who deny manmade climate influence are like Dodo's!

Only if they were sentient dodos that could see the pirates coming with rats and cats and decided they weren't going to cause a problem (despite eating all their eggs / friends) and so just decided to carry on as before as if nothing had happened...

Latest posts

Back