How's the weather?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AD6CB2B1-F8B8-470F-9D79-413DE443F1BF.jpeg HBC0974A5-29B3-4CA5-A9B1-8250F7E605F6.jpeg Winter aconite is blooming and my species tulips are well up. I’m amazed at the plants that grow under snow. I suspect some of my hellebores are budding as well but I haven’t checked. Spring is here!!!

Right now at work in pa. Already hit days high of 95 in shade at noon, supposed to have heat index of 107. At home in south jersey it’s supposed to be heat index 111. Can’t wait to get home ;)

Attachments

• F95EAC86-8433-4AD8-B4B3-3150B8299A88.jpeg
    F95EAC86-8433-4AD8-B4B3-3150B8299A88.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 4
  • A14F92BD-7AF3-4D7B-B66A-A41FC46CBB51.jpeg
    A14F92BD-7AF3-4D7B-B66A-A41FC46CBB51.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 3929B60C-7F62-4180-B0EA-262D45A69085.jpeg
    3929B60C-7F62-4180-B0EA-262D45A69085.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 3
Up here in the high south we have yet to get over 80. Yesterday we never got to 60 (cloudy) nights are upper40s to highs low to mid 70s for the next 10 days. Never have ever needed cooling in greenhouse. Just natural air flow with one fan on 24/7. The phrags love it!

We're set for a record July day here in the UK. Might top 39 degrees centigrade (102 in 'old money'). We had such a long hot spell last year too.

We're set for a record July day here in the UK. Might top 39 degrees centigrade (102 in 'old money'). We had such a long hot spell last year too.
I lived in the UK in the early 60's. One of those summers, the temperature reached into the 70's and the "record heat wave" killed quite a few folks in nursing homes.

Tell me there's no climate change... (I am not assigning "cause", just stating a fact, so no BS arguments, please.)

Tell me there's no climate change... (I am not assigning "cause", just stating a fact, so no BS arguments, please.)

I think, I can agree. The Mediterranean plants in my garden where not killed in the 2 last winters by frost.
That also happened in the early 80th, but no more after that time.

We are in winter here, so we are obviously not getting the extreme temperatures that are being seen throughout Europe. But it has been reported that this month will be the hottest July ever recorded for Canberra.

Increasing top temperatures in Europe is caused also by more and more stone buildings in the cities which store heat better than green areas. Some cities are approaching stone desert conditions

Increasing top temperatures in Europe is caused also by more and more stone buildings in the cities which store heat better than green areas. Some cities are approaching stone desert conditions

I'm sorry but that's not the case in the UK. More of our buildings have solar panels with higher reflectivity, more glazing with higher reflectivity and we have more and more green areas that should reduce the heat island effect. They're small effects but they haven't got worse in the last 30 years or so so can't satisfactorily explain.

Also the new record UK temperature was recorded in Cambridge - hardly a sprawling metropolis! I think the weather station is even in the botanic garden!

Climate change is real and we have caused it. If we don't act dramatically and soon we will all regret it on my opinion.

Climate change is real and we have caused it. If we don't act dramatically and soon we will all regret it on my opinion.

I am not sure if You can really improve the situation if Great Britannia immediately switsches off all their coal and gas power plants.
As a test You can switch off this 45% of Your power production. But I recommend to do it after uncontrolled Brexit. Then You will not need that part any longer.

Last edited:
Good news from climate change

Less damage by natural disasters.
The damage by hurricane, heatwaves and floods in the first 6 months of the year is reduced to 42 billion $. The medium value of the last 30 years is about 69 billion $.

Data from Münchener Rück, the World's largest reinsurance in Munich

Climate change is real and we have caused it.

There is precisely zero evidence of that. Firstly, there no proof that the ''change'' we are seeing now is permanent. (because it has happened before) and secondly, the definition of ''climate'' as used in this context (average weather over thirty years) is arbitrary and made up. Apart from astronomical influences, real climate is determined by your place on the ball we call Earth. Thirdly, there is no proof (only conjecture) that co2 is causing the current warming. Those are the facts.

There is precisely zero evidence of that. Firstly, there no proof that the ''change'' we are seeing now is permanent. (because it has happened before) and secondly, the definition of ''climate'' as used in this context (average weather over thirty years) is arbitrary and made up. Apart from astronomical influences, real climate is determined by your place on the ball we call Earth. Thirdly, there is no proof (only conjecture) that co2 is causing the current warming. Those are the facts.

Mike, 500 years ago You would have been a heretic and ended on the pyre.
I only remember Galileo Galilei

Latest posts

Back